leaving brew in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrflight

Reaction score
What will happen to a wheat beer if you leave it in the fermenter after fermentation has completed? What is too long to leave without bottling?

There are mulitple threads about this here, just do a search, but I have left mine in primary for almost 6 weeks and still had no problems.

I usually leave my beer in primary for 2-4 weeks. Once i left it in there for 5 weeks and it was fine. Essentially just let the beer ferment out and then the yeast kind of clean things up for a week or two and then let the beer settle out. No need to transfer to secondary. Also some folks will tell you you have to get it off the yeast after 2 weeks to avoid off flavors but that was proven unnecessary.

It will explode all over your electronics and ruin the search function on your computer.

To the OP - nothing worth worrying over

To the others that say to use the search feature - have you ever tried this? The search feature is horrible for anything over one word. Lets say you type extended fermentation issues - you will get 499 results utilizing EXTENDED, FERMENTATION, and ISSUES... Not very helpful unless you want to spend hours going through unrelated posts. Most times it is simply easier to just post another thread on an issue that has been discussed several times...

Just my $.02

I just bottled my first batch a wheat and let it sit in the primary for 24 days, cold crashed the last 2 days. From what I've read here most people do 3-4 weeks in the primary before bottling/kegging.

Back