Rolling Rock, ok I will risk asking the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
What gives it that distinctive taste it has? IMO anyway. I will risk asking the question and be told to use the search tool as I have and I come up empty on recipes or clones.

I am not interested in brewing a clone, just wondering if anyone knows what it is. I have a friend who drinks it and when I am over he offers me them and they taste like no other beer I can describe and have quite a different taste for a fairly cheap beer. Is it the malt? The Hops? The technique? I am not a big fan of the taste but I can drink it. :confused:

I think it's the green bottle. Tastes almost exactly like Heineken to me. That partially skunked, green bottle taste.

I think it's the green bottle. Tastes almost exactly like Heineken to me. That partially skunked, green bottle taste.

I never thought the two alike, but I think I kind of know what you mean. Would need to do a side by side taste test but I still think RR has a unique taste to it. I think St. Paulie Girl comes in a green bottle but I know they don't taste the same IMO.

its probably the water they use. water has a huge affect on beer taste especially for AG beers. you can try doctoring your water to match the water Rolling Rock uses. what city is it brewed in? get a water report for that city and try to get yours to match it.

thats caused by improper bottle storage and handling not the bottles themselves.

its probably the water they use. water has a huge affect on beer taste especially for AG beers. you can try doctoring your water to match the water Rolling Rock uses. what city is it brewed in? get a water report for that city and try to get yours to match it.

thats caused by improper bottle storage and handling not the bottles themselves.

Well, I am not trying to brew it as I said, just wondering where that taste comes from if anyone knows. Could be water but I would like to know.

Something tells me that I've read Rolling Rock is a common example of diacetyl in a commercial beer.

So they strive for consistancy in that? I guess if that was all you had and grew to like it you would get used to it. I am going to research them some and maybe they make a special claim to taste.

Now I may get flamed for this, but I kind of like the "Skunky" flavor in Rolling Rock/Heineken/Moosehead

Not my favorite style, but for a light refreshing beer on a hot day, I like it!

Now I may get flamed for this, but I kind of like the "Skunky" flavor in Rolling Rock/Heineken/Moosehead

Not my favorite style, but for a light refreshing beer on a hot day, I like it!

Yeah, lots of people like it. St. Pauli Girl is another one that comes to mind for the skunkiness. Grolsch, too.

DMS is the flaw that people talk about Rolling Rock embracing and making the trademark of their beer, not diacetyl.

I didn't come up with much except they moved the brewing operations from latrobe, PA to Newark, NJ. so I am guessing it has nothing to do with the water source, not to say they doctor it to have unique qualities.

Sorry, DMS? Nothing came back on the search, not even this thread.
It's the abbreviation for dimethyl sulfide, which is formed when the S-methylmethionine in low kilned malts is heated to above the 140-160F range. Usually this is boiled off but if it condensates back into the boil it tastes like cooked cabbage.

I used to drink it thirty years ago. While it wasn't great, it was better than it is today IMHO. Today, I'd much rather have a Yuengling.

Well - I disagree with the bulk of you to are claiming DMS or Diacetyl. EDIT: That its real common on this beer...

Green bottle aside, I usually buy a 12r and its well protected by light so its not skunked. I refuse to drink beer with DMS. I will take it back to store and say its bad. Now I have returned Miller Light, SA Summer Ale, Pete's Wicked Ale and Rolling Rock. SA & Pete have been the worst offenders in this arena. I rarely detect the butterscotch-like taste of diacetyl or the odor of imitation buttered popcorn.

I am an avid craft beer drinker, but I must say this is usually one of my favorite "CHEAP" comfort beers.

I like to drink this when I want to get plowed, and I'm usually running the smoker with some brisket or ribs. Don't want to waste HB if I plan to get trashed.

FYI:

Using a time-honored recipe, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Premium Extra Pale Lager
Only the finest malted barley, a blend of hops and time-honored recipe
Full-flavored, with a subtle bite
Light-to-medium body and color
4.5% ABV, 132 cal, 10g carbs per 12 fluid oz.
Brewed with only the choicest ingredients, including a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn
Rolling Rock (national version): 132 calories, 10g carbs, 1.3g protein, 0g fat per 12 fluid oz.
Rolling Rock (4% version for certain states) 116 cals, 8.8g carbs, 1.1g protein, 0g fat per 12 fluid oz.

Back