Question about secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading around and am confused a bit about the secondary fermentation. I know it is supposed to be about clarity and what not. So right now i have a amber ale sitting in my closet at 70 degrees and it has been fermenting since saturday. I noticed on another post that somebody said that i should see no bubbles or any signs of fermenting when i transfer to the secondary fermentation carboy. SO does this mean i should not transfer my wort to the secondary carboy when the air lock thing is still bubbling? I am sorry if this is a dumb question...this is my first batch :)

Correct, do not transfer while the airlock is bubbling. More accurately, do not transfer until you hit your target final gravity as airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation. Typically, I leave all my beers in primary for 10-14days minimum. Don't worry, it's not a dumb question. Welcome to the forum:mug:

Correct, do not transfer while the airlock is bubbling. More accurately, do not transfer until you hit your target final gravity as airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation. Typically, I leave all my beers in primary for 10-14days minimum. Don't worry, it's not a dumb question. Welcome to the forum:mug:

thanks...i have seen a lot of talk about gravity also...can u give me like a basic overview about final gravity

"secondary fermentation" is a hold-over term from wine making, where it is correct. Commercial breweries use the term bright tank. Homebrewers are slowly shifting to "clearing".

Latest posts

Back