How High To Prime A Polypin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much to prime a poly-pin?

• 1.8 vol of CO2 - 2.5oz/71gm Corn Sugar

• 1.4 vol of CO2 - 1.4oz/41gm Corn Sugar

• 1.0 vol of CO2 - 0.4oz/11gm Corn Sugar

• Don't Prime at All.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you were going to make a cask ale, how many volumes of CO2 would you attempt to prime? (See Poll)

I'm thinking 1.0-1.8 Targeting 1.4

Curious if any of you guys do this.

BTW - I weigh my priming sugars. I'm able to measure in grams.

Thanks!!

Edit: This assumes the 2ndary fermentation in the polypin is at ~68'F

I did a mild into 1 gallon polypins. I primed to about 1.5 vols, but as they swelled up, I bled the gas out. I think I was a bit too cautious, and let too much CO2 out, as the beer ended up with virtually no carbonation. I like some of the suggestions in that thread you linked too though. I'm going to bottle a bitter tomorrow, so maybe I'll try again!

ETA - my vote was for 1.0, but maybe 1.2 or so might be OK...

I'd probably err on the side of too much ( I put 1.4). If thats too much you can bleed it off. If 1.0 isn't enough you cant get any more in. From there you can adjust subsequent batches.

I did a mild into 1 gallon polypins. I primed to about 1.5 vols, but as they swelled up, I bled the gas out. I think I was a bit too cautious, and let too much CO2 out, as the beer ended up with virtually no carbonation. I like some of the suggestions in that thread you linked too though. I'm going to bottle a bitter tomorrow, so maybe I'll try again!

ETA - my vote was for 1.0, but maybe 1.2 or so might be OK...

The one thing they don't mention in this thread is the temp. If you can condition the beer at the serving temp then getting to it 1.0 or 1.8 is much less risky.

You just start drinking it...:cross:

I'm planning to serve my beer from the fridge at about 44'F, occasionally yank them out to put into my portable engine. But the ale yeast won't do anything at 44'F as far as creating co2

My thoughts are a bit like yours treat them like bottles but go for the low CO2 volume. I also bought 10, 1 gallon polypins. I also have a 1, 5 gal pin as well.

I'd probably err on the side of too much ( I put 1.4). If thats too much you can bleed it off. If 1.0 isn't enough you cant get any more in. From there you can adjust subsequent batches.

Yes, I feel the same way. Rather than bleed it off, or get it in the fridge so more CO2 goes into solution. The yeast can still chug away for a bit as it chills.

• At the 1.0 the priming rate the CO2 is 100% soluble at 56'F. (This is what a UK Cellarman gets their beer to)
  • At the 1.4 the priming rate the CO2 is 100% soluble at 40'F.
  • At the 1.8 the priming rate the CO2 is 100% soluble at 28'F.

I agree temp will be important. Keeping them at 55 would be perfect! But I can't do that, so I'll have to start them at about 70, then shift them to the fridge.

And yes, 1.0 would be too low.

I only have 3 1 gallon pins so I am going to bottle some of it. I might prime all of it for 1.8 vols, then bleed it off the pins...

Bio - I can't get (keep) them to 55 either...

I wondered if it would be good to use a dry lager yeast at priming. That way you could condition at serving temp. Maybe even a cool temp ale yeast.

Anyhow let me know how things go.

Part of me wants to believe the pin can hold 4PSI at 68F with 1.4 vol of CO2. Get down to 40-42F and most of the CO2 will absorbed.

Alright - got 4 X 1 gallon into polypins @ 1.5 vols, and 6 gallons into bottles @ 2.0 vols. I'll let you know hoe it goes!

Bah. Damn typos. :D

Here they are, preswollen.

four_polypins.JPG

one_polypin_at_filling.JPG

Bio,

Did you purposely under-fill them, and then purge the air out? This seems like a good idea. This way they can expand w/o putting a lot of stress on the pin right away.

How cold do you plan to serve them? Standard fridge temps 40-44'F??? Do you use gravity or a engine?

I wonder how much pressure these can take before they leak gas or rupture. We will soon see. I imagine by Friday they will bulging.

One will be screaming drink me!! :rockin:

I'm interested if your results.

:mug:

There is right at 1 gallon in each, according to the markings on my bottling bucket. That left some air in the head space, so I did expel it. I'm hoping that it gives extra room for the expansion!

I'll probably be serving from my beer fridge, although I might just leave them out in the garage. Its about 48F out there now. Bit closer to cellar temp.

I don't have a beer engine (yet!), so it'll be pure gravity. Which works well for the beer I have in there. Shepherds Neame Bishop's Finger - when I lived in Kent, we'd go to a pub out in the sticks somewhere where they served this directly from the cask sitting on the back of the bar. Mine tasted good straight from the bottling bucket today.

I've only used the polypins one time, for Orfy's mild mannered ale. I think I bled it too much, then there was nothing left when I did chill it. This time, I'm going to be a bit braver...

Dumb question - Where can I get polypin containers? I am brewing a mild and think that a polypin would be the closest to cask ale as I can get at this moment.

One of my most memorable ale moments was bringing a 20 liter ( litres ) polypin filled with Hook Norton's Hooky Bitter back from the UK. I was nervous on the flight back that it would explode, luckily this was pre-9/11! I did vent the polypin, probably more than I should have. The day after I got back I went to friend's house for dinner and that was one of our best drinking experiences.

Dumb question - Where can I get polypin containers? I am brewing a mild and think that a polypin would be the closest to cask ale as I can get at this moment.

Look up "cubitainer"

I might have got mine from here?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31619&catid=816&clickid=searchresults

ETA - don't forget to get spigots too!

One of my most memorable ale moments was bringing a 20 liter ( litres ) polypin filled with Hook Norton's Hooky Bitter back from the UK. I was nervous on the flight back that it would explode, luckily this was pre-9/11! I did vent the polypin, probably more than I should have. The day after I got back I went to friend's house for dinner and that was one of our best drinking experiences.

Yum! :mug:

This my (Very scruffy) MK1 5 Gallon Polypin cask.

I wanted to avoid any chance of a five gallon burst so I put it in a box to withstand any overpriming. I put a screw down lid on it to minimize CO2 gassing off into the dead space and also help avoid any air intake. I deliberately overprimed the first beer and found, sure enough that the tap was not man enough so I replaced it. There is still a small amount of leakage though at pressures above 2 vols. from the washer in the cap.

My final goal, if I am ever satisfied would be to make a pretty version with some kind of pull tap to resemble using a beer engine.

polypin.jpg

This my (Very scruffy) MK1 5 Gallon Polypin cask.

I wanted to avoid any chance of a five gallon burst so I put it in a box to withstand any overpriming. I put a screw down lid on it to minimize CO2 gassing off into the dead space and also help avoid any air intake. I deliberately overprimed the first beer and found, sure enough that the tap was not man enough so I replaced it. There is still a small amount of leakage though at pressures above 2 vols. from the washer in the cap.

My final goal, if I am ever satisfied would be to make a pretty version with some kind of pull tap to resemble using a beer engine.

polypin.jpg

Like it! Maybe if there were someway of using a spring rather than a handcrank???

How long does the beer last in there once you start drinking? If you can keep O2 out, it should be a while, right?

Thanks for the links.

My guess is I could prime my ale the same for both bottling and putting some in a cubitainer. Brewing Classic Styles recommends 1 to 1.5 volumes.

Do you guys know of Dave Line's book "Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy" from the late 70's? He describes in there how to prine polypins for various styles. Apparently they were all the rage for European hombrewers back then. Its neat to know that I can get them in the states. My basement in winter is mid 50's so it would be neat to pull an old fashioned pint from one of these. -NG

Like it! Maybe if there were someway of using a spring rather than a handcrank???

How long does the beer last in there once you start drinking? If you can keep O2 out, it should be a while, right?

I don't think a spring would work. It takes a surprising amount of force to hold the gas down. My preferred method would be some kind of ratchet arrangement operated my a traditional handle.

Due to my pipeline failing me it has only been tested over a couple of weeks from casking to finishing the last drop. :eek: However, it worked perfectly first time as far as keeping the beer in good condition was concerned.

I had been thinking of starting a new thread asking for ideas from you guys about how to improve it, but I decided this was as good a place as any to park it. :)

Do you guys know of Dave Line's book "Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy" from the late 70's? He describes in there how to prine polypins for various styles. Apparently they were all the rage for European hombrewers back then. Its neat to know that I can get them in the states. My basement in winter is mid 50's so it would be neat to pull an old fashioned pint from one of these. -NG

I have that book. I'll have to check it tonight.

I don't think a spring would work. It takes a surprising amount of force to hold the gas down. My preferred method would be some kind of ratchet arrangement operated my a traditional handle.

Due to my pipeline failing me it has only been tested over a couple of weeks from casking to finishing the last drop. :eek: However, it worked perfectly first time as far as keeping the beer in good condition was concerned.

I had been thinking of starting a new thread asking for ideas from you guys about how to improve it, but I decided this was as good a place as any to park it. :)

Yeah - I thought it would have to be a strong spring!

Thanks for the links.

My guess is I could prime my ale the same for both bottling and putting some in a cubitainer. Brewing Classic Styles recommends 1 to 1.5 volumes.

For a true cask ale, yes 1 to 1.5 would be OK. That is a bit low for bottled bitters through. For this experiment, I primed 4 gallons of my 10 gallon batch to 1.5 vols for the polypin, then I did the rest (6 gallons) to 2.0 and bottled.

OK - so you said they would be swollen by Friday...

...and they are!

iphone_147.JPG

Although there is still room for more.

iphone_148.JPG

What advice did it give on priming polypins? Anything we don't already know?

Not really. He says to prime with 1 oz of table sugar per 5 gallons. Which is roughly 1.2 vols I think. He says to check daily, and relieve excess pressure by drawing a pint of beer (I'll leave it to you to figure out what to do with that beer). Check the pressure daily, and prevent air from getting in by pushing down on it as you pull a pint.

btw - he also mentions that a 5 gallon polypin can be used as a secondary fermenter if you stick an airlock where the tap should be. He also says add a teaspoon of sugar to the secondary. Add gelatin too. Transfer to a fresh polypin for serving.

^
|

That is pretty much whats in the book. You forgot to mention that he suggests you keep the polypin next to your favorite TV-viewing chair for easy access! - N_G

BioBeing - Are you drinking your beer yet?

I finally used my engine on a growler. Last night I drank half a growler, then I left it open on the dry ice pack for 12 hours. Tonight it was perfect temp and carbonation. Got 6 ice packs so I can change them daily if needed.

Wondering how your polypins are doing. I'm guessing you got them chilled now.

They have had a week and a half now. They swelled to a max by Sunday (8 days). I bled a pint from one, just to make sure :) But no, they are not in the fridge yet. Figured I'd give 'em a couple more days, then maybe chill them on the weekend.

After I posted the above, I realised that it almost was the weekend, and I had better get these in the fridge if I wanted to drink them! So, they are now in the fridge!

Latest posts

Back