So i did i get my brew right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronacj

Reaction score
I have never been much of a picky beer drinker... i mostly drank Coors light when i felt cheap but Heineken and Blue Moon most of the time.

My first brew was WILLIAM'S AMERICAN IPA and below is a picture. The color is a dark golden brown and this beer has much more flavor that anything else i drink, at the end there is a bitter kick that you can really taste if you press your tongue on the roof of your mouth after a sip. For the most part i like the flavor but a buddy of mine said the bitter kick was to much and he went back to his Coors.

Am i off? or did i get this beer close to right?

2ahfxnk.jpg

IPAs (India Pale Ale) are known for bitterness among other things. It does not have to be a ridiculous bitterness, but it seems that the American style is trending into higher IBUs.

Some people just do not like IPAs... Some people do not like stouts....

I think its a taste preference and not a failure.

Haha thanks for the replies! I never said i didn't like the bitter... my buddy didn't like it which made me question if i got it right...

Surely you have tried a commercial IPA before you brewed this one? Hop bitterness is something one gets acquired to, just like tasteless beer like Coors is an acquired taste. No one is born craving the taste of beer!

It seems that with IPA style beer drinkers either LOVE it or hate it. I crave hoppy beer!

the only real way we could tell if you "got it right" is to taste the beer... unfortunately internet technology doesn't allow us to attach beer to forum posts. yet. there is only so much we can tell from the beer's color. as far as yours goes, it looks just fine for an IPA.

an IPA, by definition, is going to be very bitter and should have a lot of hop flavor (versus other styles that emphasize malt or yeast flavors). saying that your IPA is bitter is like saying your maple syrup is sweet or your lemon juice has pucker power... it would be worrying if it didn't have that quality!

i used to be only so-so on hoppy beers. now i can't get enough of them, to the point that there are few hoppy commercial beers that satisfy me. it's an evolution that many, many brewers go through.

if bitterness isn't your thing, there are plenty of other beer styles that highlight other tastes. a pale ale is similar to an IPA but is less bitter and typically has a little less hop flavor and aroma. if you like roasty flavors like coffee, try brewing a stout. if you like sweet flavors look into cream ales, wheat beers or fruit beers. if you like spicy, try making a belgian or a holiday/winter beer. so many options... this is only a small list of them.

Some people just do not like IPAs... Some people do not like stouts....

I think its a taste preference and not a failure.

a wise man once said, "It's all beer, it's all good."

wait... it wasn't a wise man; I said that

the only real way we could tell if you "got it right" is to taste the beer... unfortunately internet technology doesn't allow us to attach beer to forum posts. yet.

I would never have to leave the house

Try a few commercial IPA offerings and see if they are similar to yours.

Ruination and Double Wide are two of my personal faves. :tank:

Rick

It doesn't taste bad... I like it, My buddy just isn't a fan of this beer i guess. I didn't make it for him so it's all good.

Haha thanks for the replies! I never said i didn't like the bitter... my buddy didn't like it which made me question if i got it right...

If your buddy is normally a Coors Light guy, then chances are that he is not gonna like IPA too much. IPA is not exactly a "gateway" style to craft beer for most BMC drinkers. :D

Back