Safe to drink????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What shall I do with it?

• Keg it

• Dump it

Results are only viewable after voting.

keg2881

Reaction score
Brewed a Bell's two hearted clone back in may and didn't have the keg space to keg it up. Fast forward to the last day of July and I open my conical to find this.

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

What say the Beer GODS here at HBT? Keg it or dump it?

Well your question and the title of the thread are incongruous.

Nothing pathogenic can grow in beer, so no matter how nasty something may look, it IS safe to drink. Beer was brewed because it was safer than water....even if it had an infection like a sour beer does. It's always going to be safe to drink.

Now the question is would you want to...And that can only be determined by tasting it. It may be perfectly fine under that pellicule, or it may be "pleasantly tart" or it may be downright nasty....but it would still be safe.

Wow, that's one wicked looking pellicle!! Not speaking from experience, I've been lucky to avoid infection through 30some batches, but I think if I opened a fermenter to find that I'd still have to give the beer a chance before deciding if I wanted to dump it. Like Revvy said, there's no way to tell what the beer under that pellicle tastes like w/o tasting it. If you have the ability to force carb in a keg, why not see how it tastes cold and carbonated?

I just sampled some and I don't really notice any "bad" flavors, getting ready to keg it up and carb it. I'll report back, maybe I made a sour version of 2 hearted.

Latest posts

Back