ordering recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnoz

Reaction score
*I'm trying to copy this recipe for a Mac and jacks extract clone. This will be my 4th beer. I guess the part that is confusing me id what exactly i'm supposed to be ordering when it says for instance crystal 80 and the dextrin malt . I know what malt is but is this a liquid or a dme? I'm trying to expand out of the basics and make my buddy a great beer.
Sorry if this is all jumbled, in posting from my phone

6.6 lbs Muntons light malt extract syrup*0.5 lbs Muntons light dry malt extract*1.0 lb Munich malt*0.5 lbs crystal 80*0.5 lbs carapils (dextrin) malt*9.3 AAU Centennial hops (1 oz @ 9.3% alpha) for 60 min*6.2 AAU Cascade hops (0.75 oz @ 8.3% alpha) for 2 min*4.2 AAU Cascade hops (0.5 oz @ 8.3% alpha) dry hopping*1 tsp Irish moss*White Labs WLP005 (British Ale) or Wyeast 1098

It's a grain... Munich, Crystal 80L, and Dextrin are all grains... My guess is that the recipe calls for a steeping time. So you'd stick all of those grains (milled) in a grain sack and let them soak at the desired temp and time that the recipe should call for, usually around 150 F for 30 min or so.

Thank you very much. I've been racking my brain going through northern brewers catalog and website trying to find "crystal 80". I have two lhbs where I live that are basically stores with a section and nobody that had that much useful information so its pretty much internet or nothing for me.

Thank you very much. I've been racking my brain going through northern brewers catalog and website trying to find "crystal 80". I have two lhbs where I live that are basically stores with a section and nobody that had that much useful information so its pretty much internet or nothing for me.

This pains me as well. I really want to support the lhbs shops in my area but so often they are just clueless, spouting out of date advise or just not understanding what your talking about. Luckily we have this amazing resource called Home Brew Forum!

Like the others have posted the items in question are adjunct grains that are to be used compliment and enhance the character of the recipe. Most places on the internet will not only mill the grain for you, but packed it all together in a nice bundle. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back