Advice on yeast to replace kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazaah

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forums and also new to making my own booze!

My first attempt I did not use a kit but tried from frsh fruit. Unfortunately the fermentation was not sucsessful, so 2nd time round I would like to use a kit.

Im looking to make a high strength apple cider. About 10% would make me very happy. Im looking at this kit Here. Unfortunately it only produces about 5%, I understand if I bumped up the dextrose another 1.5kg I would get closer to 9%, BUT, can anyone advise me if the yeast will stand up to this? If it would, do I just add more dextrose everyday until the extra is used?. If not could anyone advise a yeast more suited for my needs, or even point me in the direction of another quality kit?

Thanks heaps,
Lazaah :tank:

Hello, new to the forums and also new to making my own booze!

My first attempt I did not use a kit but tried from frsh fruit. Unfortunately the fermentation was not sucsessful, so 2nd time round I would like to use a kit.

Im looking to make a high strength apple cider. About 10% would make me very happy. Im looking at this kit Here. Unfortunately it only produces about 5%, I understand if I bumped up the dextrose another 1.5kg I would get closer to 9%, BUT, can anyone advise me if the yeast will stand up to this? If it would, do I just add more dextrose everyday until the extra is used?. If not could anyone advise a yeast more suited for my needs, or even point me in the direction of another quality kit?

Thanks heaps,
Lazaah :tank:

I don't make cider, but I have heard from many brewers that any ale yeast will do fine up to 10% because there is nothing but simple sugars in cider.

Sure, its possible to overpitch, but the effects in a cider would be negligible. Even in a beer where you were looking for a very specific flavor profile, the results wouldn't be bad, just lacking in character.

I'd make sure to pick up some kind of yeast nutrient to add when you pitch to make sure they're nice and healthy so they don't give up.

It might or it might not. One of my local shops puts a little baggie with an ounce or so of yeast nutrient in their store-made kits, but none of the prepackaged/boxed kits I've ever bought have, and neither have the Northern Brewer kits I've ordered. You should be able to pick up a tube of Wyeast's nutrient at any homebrew shop, and that'll last a nice, long time.

Mmm I cant remember what brand yeast i used in my first/previous ferment, unfortunately it didnt end up fermenting haha! is there a general guide to how much to use? (an oz to 28L?)

My previous attempt at brewing resulted badly, hench why Im going for a kit so I dont have to figure out what fruitjuice I can use locally or prepare fruit. Apfelwein is on the list to brew for sure though!

28L is about 7 US gallons. 1 pack of yeast should be OK (around half an ounce). I think a standard pack is usually about 11 grams.

I never use nutrient and it works OK. I don't know if nutrient makes it ferment faster or not.

Back