TTB says max 14%ABV????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kikbuty

Reaction score
So I'm researching starting a meadery.

According to what I have read on the TTB site mead is limited to a MAXIMUM of 14%ABV.

WHY? My most recent batch came in at LEAST 18%.

I'm thinking other people might want to buy a nice strong mead also, considering everyone who has had my mead loves it.

Other wines are permitted to be UP TO 25% ABV but not mead? I don't understand. I sent them a question through email but haven't received a reply yet.

I'm pretty curious about this too. I have a bottle of commercial Dwojniak sitting at home that's 16%, and, if I remember correctly, Vikings Blod definitely clocks in around 19%.

It's possible that it must be under 14% to be called a mead, otherwise they consider it a "honeywine" (even though they now consider "mead" and "honeywine" to be synonymous). That's just speculation, though.

Also, the "25%" thing varies by state. Here in Ohio, I think anything 21% or higher is subject to liquor laws and regulations, instead of wine.

It's probably limited to calling it mead if it's over 14% for the purposes of taxation. Tax law is interesting (about to go to a class for exactly this same thing) and I would say that if it's over 14% and since it's being made from what is essentially sugar it would fall into the category of "formula" wines. Just a guess though. You could make what is technically a mead above 14%, give it a "fanciful name" (TTB's words, not mine) and sell it just fine, it would just have to say "formula wine" or some other such on the label and be taxed as such. Just curious, why do you wanna make mead above 14% for sale? From a business perspective I would adjust and make most if not all below 14% as the tax per gallon (don't know if it's different in CA) is like .50 more per gallon once you get above 14.01% tested alc%. That adds up when you consider producing large quantities alongside all your other overhead, unless you'd be on a series 13 domestic farm winery license, then I'd say go nuts and put something different like "formula wine" on the label (typically the back label, which who cares right?). Pretty much the answer to your question in short is that alcohol manufacture and distribution is one of the most heavily regulated industries in the country, if not the planet. Gotta jump them hoops for uncle sam.

This might shed some light http://www.ttb.gov/formulation/index.shtml

Just read what you were talking about and it looks like anything higher than 14% is "OTS" (other than standard) and lies outside the standard parameters for mead which is technically an Agricultural wine. You can make it above 14% but there's a whole other set of rules for "OTS". It seems complicated but it's not as crushing as it seems http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...73093e2e7d18db11&node=se27.1.24_1218&rgn=div8

I want to have this clarified! DANG IT ALL!

So #TTB! What gives!

LOL, so I have to label my bottles like this?
"my meadery presents an 'other than standard', sometimes called high alcohol mead"​
Instead of my normal
"my meadery presents
"mead name"
a still dry mead"
friggin government!

Back