Oh no! My airlock HOLDER broke! HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
HELP!! Just brewed a beer....
and the little rubber ring in the plastic lid...where the airlock goes...it broke..and now the airlock isnt in tight..

i tried to make it tight as possible and taped up the rest pretty heavily..

will this work?:(

Loosen the lid, Cover the hole with tape and forget about it.

The ferment will go nicely and you will be fine as long as the airlock hole is covered and you allow the CO2 to escape by leaving the lid on loosely.

Barry

Wrap some electrical tape around the shaft of the airlock to increase the diameter and just insert it back into the hole in the lid. It will seal up just fine.

Next brew, buy a bung and cut a hole in the lid to fit it. They are easier to remove/put in.

Since co2 is escaping your fine. Primary function of an airlock during vigorous fermentation is to keep flys and things floating in the air out of your beer. Since the yeast is generating CO2, there a blanket of co2 to protect it from air.

In a primary fermenter, almost anything works as an air lock. You can lay a piece of plastic wrap loosly over the hole. The main goal is to allow positive CO2 pressure out of the vessel while keeping dust from falling in.

I SURE DO HAVE TONS OF PROBLEMS!
i just finished my 3rd brew.....and i'm trying to get the hang of this..

yeah, just drill out your bung hole to make it bigger, then get a drilled rubber stopper to fit your bung hole and you are set.

bobbydigital said:
I SURE DO HAVE TONS OF PROBLEMS!
i just finished my 3rd brew.....and i'm trying to get the hang of this..

LOL just you wait- soon you'll be making starters, harvesting yeast, milling your own grain, building all-grain setups, brewing all-grain, lagering, kegging, etc. your three-hour brew session is gonna turn into a week-long endeavor!!( and you'll enoy it immeasurably)

In my first beer, I pushed the airlock into the grommit and pushed the grommit right into the beer. After that, I bought a new grommet at the LHBS for $.35 and it hasn't happened since! So, you can just stick some duct tape on it, stick the airlock into it, and wait it out and buy a new one when you go to the LHBS. Don't worry- it'll be fine!

I used silicon sealant once. Very messy job but great fun and worked a treat. I now have a bag of five spares of the little grommet fellows.

Back