Brew Kettle Insulation / Jacket - What material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weathejx

Reaction score
Good news, everybody, I'm upgrading from my crab pot to a 8gal SS brew kettle.

However, I'm stuck brewing in my apartment, on an electric range. I didn't think about this before ordering and I'm worried about being able to do a full 5gal boil.

Solutions I've seen include:
  • Wrapping the pot with a towel
  • Wrapping the pot with bubble insulation
  • Wrapping the pot in foil
  • Wrapping the burner traps with foil

I'm not willing to use a towel due to fire hazards. Wrapping the burner traps is a no brainer, so that should redirect some of the heat back up. Is there something I can pick up locally and fashion into a jacket? I'm planning on running by lowes/home depot soon to pickup some other supplies and will check out the insulation there.

John

If i cant get my brew boiling ill pick up some of this Reflectix pipe wrap that I've seen other people use.

Should keep it insulated and I can tape the lower wrap with aluminum tape to prevent burns.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
If i cant get my brew boiling ill pick up some of this Reflectix pipe wrap that I've seen other people use.

Should keep it insulated and I can tape the lower wrap with aluminum tape to prevent burns.

John
I wrapped mine in a giant version of that pipe wrap - got it on ebay, it's basically foil bubble wrap insulation. I then fixed it in place with aluminium foil tape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back