BYO water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehilde

Reaction score
In the latest issue of BYO there is a procedure for building a water filter that supposedly removes 99% of free available chlorine from tap water. Has anyone ever built this or a similar filter. If so, what have been your results?

I know a guy at my LHBS did it recently with good results.
The owner is going to build one soon. He said he could only find the filter thru Culligan.

I didn't get to read the article, only glanced at the pics. Do you know if the filter will remove heavy metals or anything other than chlorine? I've got a lot of weired stuff in my water. The tub and bathroom sink turn pink and there is quite a high rate of people that have mental issues in my neighborhood.

How about that guy's setup in there (BYO)? Temp controlled brew shed. Stainless everything, even the steps and handrails for his boil kettle (4bbl was it?). And those lagering chests.....

D*Bo said:
I know a guy at my LHBS did it recently with good results.
The owner is going to build one soon. He said he could only find the filter thru Culligan.

I didn't get to read the article, only glanced at the pics. Do you know if the filter will remove heavy metals or anything other than chlorine? I've got a lot of weired stuff in my water. The tub and bathroom sink turn pink and there is quite a high rate of people that have mental issues in my neighborhood.

How about that guy's setup in there (BYO)? Temp controlled brew shed. Stainless everything, even the steps and handrails for his boil kettle (4bbl was it?). And those lagering chests.....

I know a bit about water filtration, because I am involved in Marine reefs (which uses RO/DI water) They have a RO unit at sams (like costco) that you can get. Another option is to get a couple canister filters, one with a charcoal filter, and one with a finer filter element. (ebay or home improvment places) This will get a bunch of the crud out of your water.

A TDS meter will also tell you what your starting with in your water. (then you can also test after filtration for solids)

(Charcoal is the main thing that will remove bad flavors)
http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofi.html get something like this and use a charcoal filter)

then you can sit around and say "mmmmm that sho is some good wata"

D*Bo said:
The tub and bathroom sink turn pink and there is quite a high rate of people that have mental issues in my neighborhood.

That's creepy....pink sounds like a bacteria maybe.

I am in the process of building one. I have all the PVC and brass pieces, but I had to order the filter online because I couldn't find it anywhere locally.

I think that's the filter. I found the filter at a Bed Bath and Beyond, and they have it online at BBB too. I want to build one, but haven't got around to it yet. Let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure these filters are good for chlorine as well as heavy metals and rated for 10,000 gallons. The cost to do it is much cheaper than installing a home unit as well, granted the rest of the home gets nothing with this, but at least you get clean brew-water!

Matt

Chlorine is not to hard to remove from water, but more & more water utilities are moving to chloramine since it's more stable for them. Chloramine is harder to get out of water. Whatever you go with, make sure it removes chloramines. I just use an RO unit.

I just built this filter and tested it over the weekend. The water here is pretty heavily chlorinated, but with a pur filter on the faucet it tastes fine. With this filter, it still tasted like chlorine. Maybe chloramines that it's not removing? Does anyone know?

Here's the link btw.

http://***********/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/20-build-it-yourself/402-build-your-own-water-filter-projects

Back