Fermentation stopping early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unfnole23

Reaction score
I brewed a True Brew Porter kit on 06/26/2010. Yesterday and today I took gravity readings and both times it was 1.022. The final gravity is supposed to be around 1.014. I'm wondering if fermentation is complete.With the gravity being so high now, I'm worried if I bottle the beer Monday the introduction of the corn sugar will restart fermentation, resulting in busted bottles. It's been 2 weeks in the fermenter, should I leave it longer?

Is it an extract batch? I've found extract batches to be difficult to get down to a lower FG, they tend to stop early. If you bottle it now you will not likely risk bottle bombs, but what you do risk is having an overly sweet, malty beer that isn't too tasty.

My advice would be to get some amylase enzyme and put it in your fermenter as per the instructions (I believe 1 tspn for 5 gallons), and give the yeast on the bottom a swirl to resuspend them and restart fermentation. This can get you an extra 5-10 gravity points.

+1

If you haven't already done it, I'd try letting it warm up a bit and rouse the yeast to see if it gets going again first tho.

Was the OG on target? I'm asking because with one extract kit I used, I found the OG to be four points higher to begin with. After fermenting, the FG was four points higher than what was stated. In that case I figured it dropped as much as it was going to and bottled with no problems.

Back