Smoked Porter Recipe ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Anything need to be adjusted in my smoked porter recipe?

Batch size - 5.5 gals.
Lbs Oz
6 4 Maris Otter
2 0 Homemade Smoked Malt
12 Am. Chocolate Malt
12 Homemade Crystal 90
4 Black Patent Malt

1 oz. Willamette @ 60 mins
.5 oz. Willamette @ 15 mins

1-1.5 cup of Edinburgh Ale yeast slurry

OG 1.051
FG 1.014
SRM 27
Bitterness 28
abv 4.9%

I would bump the maris otter up enough to get the OG up til about 1.065, if you are aiming for a robust porter.

Yay, 4 whole views so far!!! :mad::drunk::mad: Guess that's what I get for posting during my insomnia hours.

I'm actually going for more of a brown porter (high side of brown/low side of robust) as I'll be drinking this in the summer with grilled foods and veggies from the garden.

Any other input. I'm actually thinking of splitting the chocolate into half chocolate & half pale chocolate, maybe even replace all the choc with pale choc.

Wanted to share the results of this bier as it appears to be a home-run effort at bottling! The actual brew was the same as the OP except I used 8 oz Am Chocolate (rather than 12), 4 oz Pale Chocolate (rather than none), and added 5 oz Flaked Wheat.

At bottling from primary after 3 weeks this bier is very drinkable and smooth. This seems to be a great start for a simple porter recipe as the base. The maltiness and roast character are well placed and well balanced by the smokiness which comes through very much as a 'Bamburg' character with a moderate hickory tone. All of this is well balanced by bitterness which seems stronger than the 25 IBUs the recipe says I got, seems more along the lines of 35. Can't wait for this to carb up so I can have at it with some grilled squash, corn, & chicken!

I'm putting the full recipe in the database/recipe forum.

Schlante,
Phillip

Back