Junk Store Pay Dirt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinnasst

Reaction score
SWMBO's fascination with junk stores has finally paid off for me, and I have to brag.

I scored two 5 gallon glass carboys for a total of $40 today at a nearby Fleatique. New ones are running around $35 to $40 at my LHBSs, so I am quite pleased with my find.

These are old water carboys. One is from the Polar Water company with no date or apparent locaton, and has an Iron Cross-shaped logo (very cool). The other was from some distilled water company. It has the advice to drink six glasses daily, with a date stamp of 1925. I like the idea that that this sucker held homebrew during prohibition. :)

They cleaned up really well, and will get test driven soon.

SWMBO's fascination with junk stores has finally paid off for me, and I have to brag.

I scored two 5 gallon glass carboys for a total of $40 today.
Congrats a great find besides the date.
I like the idea that that this sucker held homebrew during prohibition. :)

"Prohibition?" My dad always told me about "PROHIBITION" he remembered as a boy, he was born in 1922 in Germany. The family came from Germany to America in 1924 thru Ellis Island then a farm labor camp for a year to pay the passage to America. Grandma always said "BOUYCHIT" about "prohibition" with here German accent. They brewed in crocks. I have a couple crocks and a few porcelain topped bottles. Got Bier have friends, Bier gone friends gone.
Ya,Ya!

The Fleatique has a bunch of old crocks too, but they are expensive. I like the "drink six glasses each day." Fine for water, better for beer.

The trouble with those "Fleatique" shopping adventures you'll always find something you were not even looking for that ends up with that must have it purchase. Like garage sales so many so little time. Sad you couldn't get those crocks within a reasonable price, most i've seen they think they are gold.

In the future I bet they may repop them but contaminated with lead made in China.

Back