Highly desired hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellocchi

Reaction score
Hello all of you home brewers. I haven't actually brewed my own beer yet, but we plan to. We are planning on planting a 1/4 of an acre of hops in central ca, but I would like to know what kinds of hops are good to plant and are in demand. I have been researching hop farms in California, but I can't seem to find any except for a commercial one out of Sacramento that supplies Anchor Steam Beer. I would just want to supply home brewers since we don't have that much land. So, here I am asking you home brewers which hops should I plant? Any ideas? Thanks.

I would say you couldn't go wrong with any high Alpha Acid hop. I've looked around and most high AA hops have already been hard to find or have been sold out. These are the ones that I lean towards:

Cascade or Centennial
Fuggles
EKG or Kent goldings(US)
Northern Brewer
Saaz
Hallertau

But of course it all depends on what each hombrewer prefers. As homebrewers we DO like to experiment with different ingredients and hops are one of them.

Hey guy, thanks for asking.

I would strongly encourage you to get with your county extension agent. Hops are prone to several viruses and molds and so on, hopefully your extension agent can help you pick one that will produce well in your climate.

Bear in mind hop rhizomes mostly just develop good root systems the first year and then make a decent crop the second year.

With that said, if you can grow it, we can brew with it. If you get a moldy old vine with one dried out cone on it, your done. I bet your local extension agent suggests one of the american "C" varieties, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook.

Poindexter said:
Hey guy, thanks for asking.

I would strongly encourage you to get with your county extension agent. Hops are prone to several viruses and molds and so on, hopefully your extension agent can help you pick one that will produce well in your climate.

Bear in mind hop rhizomes mostly just develop good root systems the first year and then make a decent crop the second year.

With that said, if you can grow it, we can brew with it. If you get a moldy old vine with one dried out cone on it, your done. I bet your local extension agent suggests one of the american "C" varieties, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook.

I find it funny that you assumed I was a guy, but I'm not. I'm the designated typist, and the guy can't type. I was going to get in touch with the UC Davis extension. Thanks for all the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back