Upgrade to Keg,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
HI guys. I need some help. After traing to pestarizing a batch of cider. 3 bottles blow up, and one almost in me face. So i decide no more pestarizing let upgrade to kegging. Basically i don't have a room to keep a 5 gallon keg in a refrigerator. So I need something that i can stop the yeast and force carbonate. Stop the yeast that part i get. But i need the equipment force carbonate and bottle. Any body has any advice what part i need to get to get to work. Thank For help.

HI guys. I need some help. After traing to pestarizing a batch of cider. 3 bottles blow up, and one almost in me face. So i decide no more pestarizing let upgrade to kegging. Basically i don't have a room to keep a 5 gallon keg in a refrigerator. So I need something that i can stop the yeast and force carbonate. Stop the yeast that part i get. But i need the equipment force carbonate and bottle. Any body has any advice what part i need to get to get to work. Thank For help.

"Stop the yeast" isn't so easy without being able to crash chill the cider!

Stopping active yeast is like stopping a freight train (hence, pasteurizing the bottles :D) and doesn't work all that easily. It normally requires chilling, racking off of the lees, adding sorbate, etc.

After that, kegging will just require a co2 tank, regulator, hoses (gas and beerline), and a tap and all of the connections.

Here's a link to what you need: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=463 You need that, plus the 5# co2 tank. If you're not serving it cold, you'll need more line on the beer line side so make sure whatever you order, order 20' (yes, 20 FEET) and not the standard 5 feet of serving line.

In order to bottle from the keg, you'll need to chill it down. Warm cider, when carbonated, foams like a son of a gun. You can't bottle a warm carbonated beverage. Once it's cold, you can bottle with a Beergun (or see the homemade version on our forum).

O.k But the question is how i get the cider from the better bottle to the keg? I have a place to chill it down for 24 hours without a problem but i don't have a place to keep it in the keg that's why i want to move it to bottles. I was planing to use a jack box for serving if i am going to ever serve it from the keg.

ajoha2003 said:
O.k But the question is how i get the cider from the better bottle to the keg? I have a place to chill it down for 24 hours without a problem but i don't have a place to keep it in the keg that's why i want to move it to bottles. I was planing to use a jack box for serving if i am going to ever serve it from the keg.

This is kind of confusing the way you put it. Just rack it from the bottle to the keg. Siphon, racking adapter, however you normally move the beer over. Are you saying you dont have a place to chill the keg?

Sory for the confusion.

1. I have a place to chill the keg but i can't keep in there for ever tops 2 -3 days.
2. Any body has a tutorial how to move from better bottle to keg and to bottles.
3. Currently i have auto siphon that i use to rack between the better bottles.

Sory for the confusion.

1. I have a place to chill the keg but i can't keep in there for ever tops 2 -3 days.
2. Any body has a tutorial how to move from better bottle to keg and to bottles.
3. Currently i have auto siphon that i use to rack between the better bottles.

Rack from the better bottle to the keg. Same way you always rack.

From me understanding the standard technic that I use the past is potassium sorbate and potassium sulfite and cold crash it as well. Personally I don't like using the sulfide can it be replace with something that doesn't smell?

From me understanding the standard technic that I use the past is potassium sorbate and potassium sulfite and cold crash it as well. Personally I don't like using the sulfide can it be replace with something that doesn't smell?

Sulfite can be omitted, but sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites.

It's funny, but I can't taste sulfite in small amounts (under 50 ppm) but I can taste and smell sorbate a mile away and find the taste very unpleasant.

Back