Post-cold crash fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
So back in February I brewed a standard English brew (pale, crystal, fuggles), fermented with S-04. In March I decided to sour it so I pitched the following:
Wyeast Lambic blend, Wyeast Rosealare blend, dregs from Chimay Blue, Lindemans Cuvee Renee, and Paradox Skully. I wrapped an electric blanket around it, added 9lbs peach puree, and some oak cubes soaked in merlot. Fermentation took off and I let it sit until last week.

Last week I cold crashed it because there was a TON of slush leftover from the peach puree. Racked it to secondary, and added one gallon of fresh wort (Wheat DME and water). Now, 4 days later, there's still absolutely no sign of any activity at all. Should I give it more time before I start worrying?

What temperature was it sitting at until last week and what is it at now? Did you take gravity readings pre and post primary and after adding your fresh wort? Take those gravity readings to be sure it's either still going or not. You could also pitch a fresh packet of rehydrated S-04 and see if that aids at all.

So back in February I brewed a standard English brew (pale, crystal, fuggles), fermented with S-04. In March I decided to sour it
(...)
Last week I cold crashed it because there was a TON of slush leftover from the peach puree. Racked it to secondary, and added one gallon of fresh wort (Wheat DME and water). Now, 4 days later, there's still absolutely no sign of any activity at all. Should I give it more time before I start worrying?
yes, give it more time. the only viable critters in there are brett, pedio and possibly some lacto. brett will be your main fermenter but it's slow. every time i've added fermentables to an aged sour it's taken 7-8 days for the brett to wake up and get to work. i wouldn't worry until 10-11 days, at that point i would considering adding some more yeast.

Okay, so March - August (5 months?) followed by cold crash? I disagree with sweetcell above that all the Belgian yeast, sherry yeast (sherry yeast lasts forever when they form a flor, but IDK what they do in a yeast cake), and S-04 (unhappy if not dead) from primary are dead - but whatever is there is likely to be pretty well compacted into a yeast cake. It could take some time before what is essentially a tiny pitch rate decides to ferment out that DME.

Back