Brining brisket for corned beef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I'm making some corned beef for St. Patty's day, and the recipe calls for Instacure 1, I guess it gives it the pink color. Does anyone know where you can get this?

I get mine with my sausage making stuff at The Sausagemaker

Or you can make your own:

MEAT CURES - DO-IT-YOURSELF
PRAGUE POWDER # 1 or INSTA CURE 1
This mix is not normally used in fresh sausage. It can be used in “cured
sausage” that is not fully dried.
1 pound of Kosher salt
1 ounce sodium nitrite Thoroughly mix the salt and sodium nitrite. Uneven mixes will result in too
much sodium nitrite in some parts of the sausage and not enough in others.
For each 10 pounds of meat to be used in the sausage, add 2 teaspoons of
Prague powder # 1.
Unused Prague powder #1 can be stored in a dry jar.
Note that the Prague powder # 1 is dissipated after about 2 weeks making it
unsuited (as the theory goes.) for long cures.

For what it's worth, "pink salt" is very inexpensive and you can order at a number of online retailers. The color added is helpful because you do not want to confuse this with regular salt, it is poisonous at higher concentrations.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
For what it's worth, "pink salt" is very inexpensive and you can order at a number of online retailers. The color added is helpful because you do not want to confuse this with regular salt, it is poisonous at higher concentrations.

Yes, I believe about 2 oz can kill. You'd have to not be paying attention though to ingest that much but it still merits caution.

Back