Eisbock lagering and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
So, I thought about it long enougj, time has come to brew an eisbock. But i still have a few technical questions.

First, its gonna be a pale doppelbock base, between 8 and 9%.
40% munich
40% vienna
20% pils

A bit of hallertauer
Fermented with W34/70 at 50-55

Then it's gonna be eisbocked to between 12 and 15%, and a few small bottles to the double, so between 25 to 30% (kind of whisky-beer)

My questions are about the schedule...
-ferment/eisbock/lager/bottle
-ferment/lager/eisbock/bottle
-ferment/lager/eisbock/lager/bottle?

and for bottling, i was thinking to add champagne yeast with less than half of usual priming sugar, just to create a bit of co2 to protect the beer. Am I right?

Thanks!

You'll want to:

Ferment/lager/eis/lager/bottle/carb/lager.

This is a beer that will like some age. Just checking to make sure: you've made perfect lagers before right? Because any flaws will just get amplified in the final beer.

I've made the same Doppelbock who turned out great, but i'm aware that any flaws will be amplified. I'm taking the risk. It's gonna be a 1 or 2 gallon batch anyway.

What about eisbocking an Ale?

I've made the same Doppelbock who turned out great, but i'm aware that any flaws will be amplified. I'm taking the risk. It's gonna be a 1 or 2 gallon batch anyway.

What about eisbocking an Ale?

You can eis any beer, but the clean lager styles lend themselves to it.

Also, if you eis a 1 gallon batch, you're only going to get a bottle or two of end product after yeast, trub, ice, and racking losses.

Yhea, i calculated everything. I should get around a gallon before eusbocking, so around 6 small bottles after eisbocking. It's not a lot but it's really a test batch. If it's good, we'll go with a full 5 gallon batch next winter ( or when I get a lager fridge )

Another question. If I lager after eisbocking, the yeast is dead, so there's any CO2 production, so could it be a problem for oxydation? (Dont have any keg and co2 tank)

I bring back this thread, because i'm going to brew it soon, and I want to hear you about the method I'm going to use. So, here it goes:

1-Primary fermentation with w34/70 at +/- 10°C (50°F) for a few weeks
2-Diacetyl Rest and Lagering for about 2 months
3-Eisbocking to desired ABV (between 12 and 15%)
4-Transfert to a carboy and pitch champagne yeast
5-Let it sit for a few days at around 15°C (60°F), so the champagne yeast can eat any fermentable sugars left before bottling, so I can control my carbonatation
6-Bottle with priming sugar (about half the usual dosage, to create a low and smooth carbonation)

Back