midwest autumn ale question about possible dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
So i brewed midwest autumn ale last week and it's happily fermenting with their headwaters strain yeast.
The recipe is 6lb of gold lme
8oz of crystal 80l
2oz special b
2oz roasted barley
1oz fuggle aroma
1oz hallertau bittering

Because the hallertau was aa 2.7% and the fuggle was aa 4.5% i switched them up and added the hallertau for the last 15 instead of 2 minutes.

Which hops would you use for dry hop?
Would you get a different hops all together or use one of the ones used in the boil?
I think the brew got just enough of the bittering needed but want to add some more hops floral notes.
The style best fits as an american brown ale or amber ale on the dark side.

Pretty much any of the American "c" hops will work for that beer to add what you want. I would suggest an ounce as an amber ale should not be overpowering.

"C" hops are mainly grapefruit flavor. After seeing this thread & due concideration,I'dgo with something with floeal/earthy/herbal notes for a dry hop. One to concider is the New Zealand Pacific Gem with it's oak & blackberry flavors. Aklso good for bittering. Or maybe NZ Pacifica,with flavors of orange marmalde & floral hints. Or the classic East Kent Golding,with herbal & lemon grass flavors with some floral hints.

unionrdr said:
"C" hops are mainly grapefruit flavor. After seeing this thread & due concideration,I'dgo with something with floeal/earthy/herbal notes for a dry hop. One to concider is the New Zealand Pacific Gem with it's oak & blackberry flavors. Aklso good for bittering. Or maybe NZ Pacifica,with flavors of orange marmalde & floral hints. Or the classic East Kent Golding,with herbal & lemon grass flavors with some floral hints.

Funny you should say that... i didn't want a citrus/grapefruit flavor so was going to go with willamette, my lbhs didn't have any in stock so after much consideration of what was in stock got 1oz of palisade which i think will fit the flavor profile of a harvest type beer i was looking for,

Back