Help me choose yeast..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an Imperial Stout with Marris Otter Pale as my base malt. It will have an OG around 1.090.. I'd like to use one of my strains of washed yeast that I have on hand. I have three possible candidates, but I can't decide which one I want to use.

1) WLP004 Irish Ale
2) Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley
3) Washed Nottingham

They all have a high enough alcohol tolerance to handle this beer.

FWIW I like my stouts to have a smooth, thick mouthfeel. I enjoy back notes of roastiness and chocolate. I know specialty grains, adjuncts, and mash temp have a lot to do with those qualities, but I'm wondering which of these yeast choices would accentuate those same qualities...

Which one would you use, and why?

WLP007 is a classic choice for Imperial Stouts.

It sometimes over-attenuates... so keep your mash temp a degree or two higher than the standard.

I don't have WLP007.

Please refer to original post!

My bad.... and I read it twice before posting too.

Haha.

I'd use the 1275 if you want to keep a clean malt-roast character, and because it stays suspended better than the Nottie.

My bad.... and I read it twice before posting too.

Haha.

I'd use the 1275 if you want to keep a clean malt-roast character, and because it stays suspended better than the Nottie.

That's ok. I do the same thing after a few homebrews :mug:

Latest posts

Back