Using a Belgian Yeast for Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

Looking to do a fun little experiment with some hard cider. Using a local unfiltered cider, just a 3 gal. batch.

I am looking to put a twist on it and use a Belgian Pale Ale yeast, the Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale yeast. Here is a bit of data on it.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/brewschool/yeast/yeastdetail.php?id=147

You can't find it on the wyeast site because it was a private collection and only sold once in a while. Luckily, I have a frozen yeast bank. I am thinking a Belgian yeast with slightly spicy and fruity phenolics will prove to be useful in a hard cider, especially if I ferment toward the lower end of the spectrum (63-65ish). Maybe throw in a touch of all spice and perhaps a pound or two of candi syrup or brown sugar or what not for good measure.

Just lookin to see what people think.

Thanks.
Kyle

hey everyone,

Looking to do a fun little experiment with some hard cider. Using a local unfiltered cider, just a 3 gal. batch.

I am looking to put a twist on it and use a Belgian Pale Ale yeast, the Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale yeast. Here is a bit of data on it.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/brewschool/yeast/yeastdetail.php?id=147

You can't find it on the wyeast site because it was a private collection and only sold once in a while. Luckily, I have a frozen yeast bank. I am thinking a Belgian yeast with slightly spicy and fruity phenolics will prove to be useful in a hard cider, especially if I ferment toward the lower end of the spectrum (63-65ish). Maybe throw in a touch of all spice and perhaps a pound or two of candi syrup or brown sugar or what not for good measure.

Just lookin to see what people think.

Thanks.
Kyle

How'd this turn out?

Back