Bar Lumber Question/Initial Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bush_84

Reaction score
So I need some input before I put some serious thought into building my own bar. Right now I have an area in my downstairs living room that already has about a 6 foot space of counter top against the wall. It has a sink and we have a small dorm sized fridge in it. The people who lived in the house before it foreclosed and took the rest of the bar with them. I could tell there was more there due to lighting and notches in the wall. Here's a general (and made with microsoft art....) outline of the area.

I have a bunch of lumber left over from building our deck. It's treated wood, but not sure what kind. Will it be ok to use for the frame? I have some rather large pieces that should make a pretty stable bar. The rest would have to be made from knotty pine and that would have to be bought in order to match the rest.

I guess I don't need anything that's super fancy, but would like something that is expandable. In the future I would like to consider putting in a kegging system. It would also be nice to put some storage for my wine in there. I guess the biggest thing is the treated lumber. If that's ok then I may go ahead and try it, but if it's not ok then it's off to the back burner.

Anyways, thanks for the input!!

you can use treated lumber, people don't inside much because it costs more.

I wouldn't want to use treated lumber for the bar top or edges, but there is nothing wrong with using it as framing material. If any of it was exposed on the sides, you could always wrap it with something nicer. It sounds like you have something like that in mind with the knotty pine.

You aren't building anything really big, so it doesn't seem like it would cost a lot to just build it with whatever materials it took to make it look and feel like you want. I wouldn't let the fact that I had some scrap lumber laying around define and constrict my plan, especially with something that is going to be a visual focal point.

Have fun!

I plan on using the left over lumber to build the frame and maybe some shelving, but ya I'd buy the knotty pine for everything that is exposed as the rest of the bar is already built with it.

Any suggestions or ideas? I've been searching the site and looking at a ton of pictures to get an idea as far as framework and general build, but input from somebody who has done it before is always great.

Back