San Francisco tap water for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
So far I've brewed with spring water I got from Safeway, but want to try using tap water (primarily due to cost). Has anyone brewed with San Francisco tap water and if so, how were the results? I got ahold of 2007 water report and the ion level is pretty low across the board, but pH is 9, so I'm just curious..

Ask the brewmaster at the San Francisco Brewing Company...he brews spectacular beers with city water, and is a homebrewer as well. Their website even has a brewmaster Q&A page.

Well, this is what I got back from their brewmaster:

SF Water quality is very good- pretty much snowmelt from the Sierras. Some people add gypsum and/or salt to adjust the hardness.

Fantastic. :)

I've brewed with Oakland tap water. As you may know, the Bay Area has spectacular tasting water from the Sierras. No problems here.

Well, this is what I got back from their brewmaster:

Fantastic. :)

Wow, quick response!

What a great bar...that's my favorite beerspot in a city full of great beerspots. I was sitting at their bar on New Year's Eve, and I asked the barmaid a question about the stout. She said "ask the brewmaster, he's sitting to your right!"

I got my answer even quicker than you did. :D

Back