Is cheaper better? Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmor1

Reaction score
On Sunday (5/31) I began an experiment on three different ciders to see which one might yield the best results. For this experiment, I used Giant Eagle cider (1.045OG), Indian Hill cider (1.043 OG), and Organic 365 cider (1.050OG, with undissolved solids). My only additive: pectic enzyme, to, hopefully, produce a clear final product. My yeast: SafAle-05. As of now, Wednesday (6/3), only Giant Eagle has produced a krausen, though all three produced pressure against the sanitizer I introduced to the airlock today. The goal: after 1week (or 2, depending on ferment), which cider tastes best to my (in favour of dry) senses. P,ease, stay tuned for my Sunday update.

Edit: temperature is set at 70F, though variations +/- 5F are likely.

Last edited:
Those temps may result in fusels. They're on the warm side. Try a water bath or swamp cooler to help
Out with that

So, a bit of delay in racking, but gave the advantage of clearing. My ratings are as follows:

Giant Eagle:
OG: 1.045/FG 1.000
Estimated ABV: 5.88%
Poured with a bit of bubbles, but cleared up quickly. Golden brown. Light, dry taste: better than some bottles I've had. I give it a B-.

Indian Hill: OG: 1.043/FG: 1.000
Estimated ABV: 5.62%
Again, some quick clearing bubbles. Gold. A bit of an unpleasant straw taste, with sweetness on the back end of an otherwise dry offering, which threw me off. Still better than Harpoon Cider. I give it a C.

Organic 365: OG: 1.050/FG: 1.001
Estimated ABV: 6.42%
I had the highest expectations, since I've used this cider before, though not with this yeast. Some higher bubbling on the pour, took a bit to clear off the hydrometer. Gold. Subtle sweetness remaining, though definitely dry on the finish. Not the best I've made, but not bad. I give it a B.

I've tossed the lot into the fridge to cool and clear, with final ratings once they've reached a good drinking temp. I'd share any of them with my friends, though I should note that I hate my friends. Giant Eagle is close to 365 and half the price, a pleasant surprise. Depending on how chilled tastings go, it may become my new go-to for easy drinkers. Not going to bother bottling this batch.

A week or two is a very short time to get a cider that tastes good. I let mine sit for 4-6 months before even tasting them. If you lay these back and come back to them later you may get very different results. Also, you may want to try S-o4 dry English ale yeast or
WL-002 liquid English ale yeast, and try to keep the fermentation temp. in the low 60's.
Nice experiment, thanks for posting.

Good to know that you can catch a decent cider from store brand Apple juice. I think "easy drinking" would be the key phrase I take away from your experiment. These are drinks to just sit back and poor after a hard day, just like a good pale ale.

Good to know that you can catch a decent cider from store brand Apple juice. I think "easy drinking" would be the key phrase I take away from your experiment. These are drinks to just sit back and poor after a hard day, just like a good pale ale.

Exactly. This quick and dirty experiment was designed to see what I could create in a short amount of time, at my flat's kitchen temps, that wouldn't automatically make me spit it back out. I do put effort into other ciders, but this is for quick summer drinking.

Final scores at drinking temperature:
Giant Eagle: B-
Indian Hill: C-
Organic 365: B-

Takeaway: None of these are going to be winning any awards, but after a long, hot day, it's quick and cheap alcohol to relax with, and Giant Eagle apple juice does the same job at half the price as Organic 365 apple juice. As always, of course, your results and preferences will vary.

Back