Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing an Amber Lager using WLP830(German Lager Yeast).

According to Mr. Malty, I need 3 vials. The LHBS only had 2, and the other LHBS(mostly wine) didn't have any.

I am probably going to end up making a starter, but I was wondering for future reference if it would be ok to use the two vials of liquid and one pouch of dry yeast. I'm not too sure how the two strains would interact.

Just a thought.

there is no reason to mix yeast unless you are looking for certain characteristics from each yeast... buy one smack pack or vial and make a starter. Save your $$$...

i would save the other vial for a future batch

^ Proper pitching for lagers requires a massive amount of yeast far more than an ale, he would need to do a step starter or a huge starter(2 gal) with one vial. Even with your two vials you will need to make a starter nearing 1 gallon.

Mixing yeast is fine OP, just try to get a similar dry yeast or a clean fermenting yeast.

thanks for the feedback. i went and made a starter. I have a 1000ML flask and a glass jug style growler that I used. I made about 800ML for each container and pitched one vial of yeast into each.

Mr Malty said I needed 1.2 Liters of starter with intermittent shaking or 2.1 liters of simple starter.

I plan on swirling the yeast around a few times per day, when they are done fermenting I will decant the starter wort and step both up. This should take until midway through next week. I plan on brewing thursday, friday or saturday if it rains thursday. This should hopefully be plenty of time, and hopefully plenty of yeast.

This is my first time doing a starter for a lager so any feedback is highly appreciated!

That seems like either a really low gravity beer or you have ale selected for mr. malty. Just check it again to be sure, what is your OG for your lager?

1.051 is my og, but i only brew 4.25 gallon batches. I checked it like four times, i had everything correctly inputted. So unless mr malty is wrong, my numbers are correct.

Back