Coriander Seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Fixing to make my Belgium Witbier. It calls for Coriander seed and sweet orange peel @ 5 mins to flameout.

Do i grind up the Coriander seed? And if so i dont have a grinder per say can i just smash them up with a roller pin?

The orange peels are already kind of broken up. Should i leave them as is too or crush them up as well?

Thanks! Excited to try this beer. Love wheat beers and the additives should give it a great citrus undertone to it. :)

Just like in cooking, doing things like dry-roasting spices, rubbing dry green herbs and cracking/crushing seed based spices all help to release the essential oils from them. And give you more bang for the buck.

I use a mortar and pestle for the grains of paradise along with the coriander seeds for my wits. The smell was amazing.

A baggie and rolling pin is a really effective way to crush them.

I bought a cheap coffee grinder that I use to brewing spices. I use it on the black peppercorns and the corriander seeds for BM's wit that I do a lot.

two tablespoons will work too, to give a pretty coarse crush. i'd wager a peppermill would work too.

A baggie and rolling pin is a really effective way to crush them.

This is what i did. Man these seeds smelled AWESOME! I think i might be playing around with these more often.

I used a marble rolling pin and put the seeds in a ziplock. Worked perfectly.

Back