Rudimentary fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1lonewolf75

Reaction score
Has anyone made a fruit wine by either crushing or cutying the fruit and putting it in water? I am currently doing a mead this way--my 1st brew-- and I think I can make wine also. Probably black berry or strawberry and blue berry 1st.

Thankyou in advancefor your help

But wine ain't beer and the more water you add the more you dilute the flavor of the fruit. Sometimes diluting the fruit can make sense - as when the fruit you want to ferment is very acidic , although there are other (better ?) methods of neutralizing acid... but simply to add water to strawberries or blackberries rather than reduce the volume of the wine you are making may not result in a flavor-rich drink. One test I use is to taste the diluted juice before you add any sugar to see if you would find the flavor too thin. If it's to thin before it ferments it won't be any richer after all the sugars have been fermented out... In my opinion, it takes about 10 lbs of strawberries to produce a gallon of wine...

The folks on this forum and this book have been a huge help for me:

winemaker27s_recipe_handbook-1.jpg

It should be easy to find, and has a LOT of recipes for almost every fruit you can imagine. It also has a "generic" procedure that should do a fair job of covering any fruit that might not be listed in the book.

Good luck!

So it would be best fer me to addy berries, crushed or cut, then just enough water to cover them? I also plan on when I rack the 1st time to add more berries fer more flavor in the finished wine. Will that help?
I am tryin this in half gallon batches because that is what I have currently fer fermentation vessels.

My mead is bubblin along great with wild yeast also...

If you buy the frozen fruit (berries) and smash them when they are frozen you will get more out of the fruit as the cell membranes have been broken down. Make sure that the fruit do not have preservatives in them (potassium sorbate). The more berries added in secondary will help retain or improve the fruit flavors and aromas. Also adding pectic enzyme will help break the fruit down more.

Ok i have 3 lbs strawberries yeast and am orderin a carboy and airlock. When and how to add a tea bag or should i just skip it?

Back