Efficiency adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
I ordered a sack of grain, and the malt supplier accidentally crushed it.

Generally I get 73% efficiency when I crush the grains. On the last two batches that I have brewed with the crushed grains that I recieved, and got 64% efficiency.

I am brewing up an IPA tomorrow, and am concerned with my efficiency. My original gravity is supposed to be 1.069 at 73% efficiency. It lowers to 1.061 at 64% efficiency.

Should I increase my grain weight to accommodate the lower efficiency? It looks like I would have to add about 1.5 lbs to get my o.g. back to where I want it.

Increasing your grain weight is the way to do it.

You mentioned that you crush your grains normally. Does that mean you have your own crusher or do you do it somewhere else. Personally, if I had access to a crusher, I'd just mill them again and go for something a bit finer to fix the efficiency problem.

I didnt think about milling it again. I do own a barley crusher. For some reason, their crush seems to have a LOT of flour to it. I dont think I ever get that much. Maybe because it was crushed then shipped.

Back