Time Saver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Do you think this is an effective way to cut down time on brwe day?

I have sanitized my racking equipment and carboy. The carboy still has starsan in it and i covered the mouth with saran wrap. the hose and siphon i have soaked in star san and then taken out of the solution and wrapped up in saran wrap.

do you think they will stay sanitized this way until the morning?

IMO you're doing too much work.

You can soak your hoses/canes/airlock/syphon in the Starsan and use them right out of the solution. No need to wrap them.

There's no need to soak your syphon...use it to transfer the Starsan into another primary -- it gets sanitized during the transfer.;)

Same thing for your bottling bucket. Sanitize the tap then put the bottling cane/hose on it. Transfer your Starsan into the bucket and run some through the cane/hose. After it sets for a couple of minutes autosyphon the Starsan out (and dump any remaining into the bucket you transfered to), put the bottling cane into the Starsan already in the other bucket to sanitize it.;)

The only reason i wrapped them up is because i am brewing in the morning and am trying to save a bit of time then.

think they will stay sanatized?

I sanitize everything at once on brewday. for my airlocks or blowoff hoses, I leave them in the soak until I have to use them. If you want to wrap them in plastic wrap, soak the plastic wrap also.

How often are you adding stuff to your boil? It takes no more than 5 minutes to fill a carboy with water and add some sanitizer.

I'm with Cheese on this one.

I have several primaries sitting around on brew day ready to rack sanitizer into if I need a second or third container.

Does it take you longer than 2 mins to wrap your sanitized hoses? That's all a sanitizer soak lasts.

If you dump everything into a bucket with sanitizer all you have to do is take it out and give it a shake (we're still talking sanitizing here...) just prior to using it.:D

Back