Good Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I'm about to make osme bulk purchases of hops, and I have a book that gives me some basic ideas for what kind of hops can be used for what recipies. But I was wondering what are some good hops to make ale's with, or possibly some porters/stouts maybe even a pilsner.

Also, in particular, I'm interested in experimenting with some good finishers, like the Williamettes I believe they were. So any other good finishing hops definitely let me know!

I'm thinking smoe Mt. Hoods, Williamettes, Halleteur, maybe even a Saaz, Nuggets, Goldings.....Are those good? Probably going to buy around 1 lb worth, only maybe 1-3 ounces worth of each variety though. Any comments are appreciated:mug:

Come up with ideas for your next 4-5 brews. Look and see if there are any common hops. Consider buying those in bulk from somewhere like hopsdirect.com ; a pound there is often the same price as 4 oz or so bought by the oz elsewhere.

The hops I use most often are Saaz, Fuggles, Centennial, Cascade, and Northern Brewer. It all depends on what styles you brew.

I was going to use wholesalehops.com as they have some hops from $.60-.90 an ounce, which is great. I don't think I'm at the capacity yet to be buying pounds of hops at a time, that would last me from now until MY own hops are in their 2nd season blooming :D

I've scanned through some recipies, and notice that there are some common ones, I like to brew MOSTLY full bodied, full flavor, high ABV beers, but for the summer I'd be interested in brewing some American Ales, or less bodied beers.

I'm also trying to use hops I haven't so far, which I've used Northern Brewer, Cascades, Liberty, and Challenger.

Damn, I found some good hops on there for some American Ales, Porters, and IPAs, but they only sell for as little as a lb at a time, where'as I may only want 3-4 oz max of each xP

Come up with ideas for your next 4-5 brews. Look and see if there are any common hops. Consider buying those in bulk from somewhere like hopsdirect.com ; a pound there is often the same price as 4 oz or so bought by the oz elsewhere.

The hops I use most often are Saaz, Fuggles, Centennial, Cascade, and Northern Brewer. It all depends on what styles you brew.

That's exactly what I did about a month ago. I had a few recipes lined up that were going to use like 3-4oz of a few different hops and just went with 1lb of each at hopsdirect since it would have been the same price at the LHBS for the few oz.

Hmm, well like I said, At this point, I'm only brewing 5 gallons every month or two, and even if I used my full capacity I'd only be making about 5 gallons every 2 months. So to buy pounds of different hops would be a little overdoing it. But to get like maybe 20-30 oz total, and be able to sample a few varieties with only getting about 2-4oz per hop I think that would most make sense for me now. Thanks for the suggestions though! :D

Hmm, well like I said, At this point, I'm only brewing 5 gallons every month or two, and even if I used my full capacity I'd only be making about 5 gallons every 2 months. So to buy pounds of different hops would be a little overdoing it. But to get like maybe 20-30 oz total, and be able to sample a few varieties with only getting about 2-4oz per hop I think that would most make sense for me now. Thanks for the suggestions though! :D

They'll cost you about the same for 1 lb as the regular places will for 4 oz. Do you know any other brewers in the area who might split an order with you?

There are 3 catogories of hops, america c hops, british resiny, and german noble and few out lieers. As such the american "C" hops are Cascade, centenial, amerelo, CTZ and simco. They have a citrus grapefruit type of hoppy ness. the British resny are goldings, syrians, fuggles (when they are grown in the US these are called Mt. Hood and Willamette. Then there is the german nobles, SAAZ, halertaure, tettingang, spalt and hersbrucker, and others. Which are made to hide behind malt or be the signature to a Pilsner. If you had to pick a universal hop, it would be Goldings, It tastes just like you think it should taste and you can't over hop with it. All the other hops have detectable hop differences. Given this fact you should be able to make a good beer of any style with goldings hops. Now your not going to get american hop flavored beer without using american "C" hops. but you could make an american pale recipe and come out with a fine beer using goldings.

Sounds like the solution to his conundrum is simple: Buy a pound of EKG from hopsdirect and brew up a series of glorious, glorious english bitters. That's what I'd do/am in the process(the brewing a series part) of doing.

I'm about to make osme bulk purchases of hops, and I have a book that gives me some basic ideas for what kind of hops can be used for what recipies. But I was wondering what are some good hops to make ale's with, or possibly some porters/stouts maybe even a pilsner.

Also, in particular, I'm interested in experimenting with some good finishers, like the Williamettes I believe they were. So any other good finishing hops definitely let me know!

I'm thinking smoe Mt. Hoods, Williamettes, Halleteur, maybe even a Saaz, Nuggets, Goldings.....Are those good? Probably going to buy around 1 lb worth, only maybe 1-3 ounces worth of each variety though. Any comments are appreciated:mug:

I agree with what the other guys here were saying.

You can't go wrong with low acid varieties. A pound each of Willamette, Goldings, Fuggles, Saaz, and Styrians.

Well I ended up buying 3 ounces of each of the following hops: Williamettes, Fuggles, Magnum, Centennial, and Amarillo, and I got 1 free ounce of Mt. Hoods :D

Back