Erdinger Hefe clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardenwheat

Reaction score
I just cultured some yeast from Erdinger hefe bottles and want to brew one. Anyone have an idea of what grain regimen and hops Erdinger uses???

Be warned, Erdinger may use a bottle conditioning strain of yeast so what you have may not be the actual yeast they used for primary fermenting.

I just did the same recently to try and clone their dunkel. I ended up making something that turned out completely different (still good). So I won't be much help with the grain bill other than to suggest following traditional hefe guidelines.

My take on the yeast was that my finished product turned out to be way too clean to be their primary yeast. It still worked great at normal temps and produced that killer carbonation that Erdinger is known for but I'm guessing that it may be some kind of champagne or lager yeast. It didn't have a predominant hefe character. I still saved it and plan on using it again...

I say go for it and please let me know how it turns out!!!

Be warned, Erdinger may use a bottle conditioning strain of yeast so what you have may not be the actual yeast they used for primary fermenting.

I just did the same recently to try and clone their dunkel. I ended up making something that turned out completely different (still good). So I won't be much help with the grain bill other than to suggest following traditional hefe guidelines.

My take on the yeast was that my finished product turned out to be way too clean to be their primary yeast. It still worked great at normal temps and produced that killer carbonation that Erdinger is known for but I'm guessing that it may be some kind of champagne or lager yeast. It didn't have a predominant hefe character. I still saved it and plan on using it again...

I say go for it and please let me know how it turns out!!!

+1 .. yes unfortunatley they do use different yeast to bottle. I love Erdinger and attempted this. The yeast used in fermenting gives a nice clove and banana tone, but not so much with the bottle yeast :(

I would advise using a yeast that portrays these traits rather than attempting the bottle yeast.

I would advise using a yeast that portrays these traits rather than attempting the bottle yeast..

+1. In my experience. Brewing something like Edworts Bavarian hefe linked above:

66% Malted Wheat
34% Pilsner Malt
about 10 IBUS of Hallertau Hops at 60 mins
Wyeast 3068 yeast

Will give you something that will turn out BETTER than any of the German hefes that are old stale and were shipped half way across the world.

60% wheat malt and 40% pilsner malt, OG around 1.054 and around 15 ibu's is what i've done with good success. Erdinger is a pretty clean tasting for a German hef, you'll want to use wyeast 1007 (German Ale) or a Kolsch strain or it's gunna taste like the fruity weihenstephaner/ayinger/fransiskaner style hefeweizens. Since you singled out Erdinger, I'm assuming you don't want the banana/bubblegum.

Also you have to use malt from a German supplier like Weyermann to get that rich malty flavor, or it's gunna taste like a pyramid or widmer hefe. If it were me, I'd go through the trouble of doing a decoction mash but a lot of people don't think it's necessary. Last but not least, go easy on the hops. The smallest ammount possible to balance out the sweetness will get you there. Happy brewing!

Back