burners, what do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iparks81

Reaction score
Any pics of your burners>?
I'm looking for something within the $60-$80 mark but I have no clue what works as a good cigar lighter or what is an actual good quality burner...
I have the ability to do natural gas, but im not oposed to using propane.
lets see what you have!

i have two very similar to this. i have one 5PSI regulator and one 10PSI regulator and have never had any problems whatsoever getting up to and maintaining a boil. in fact, i have to turn down my regulator pretty low to get the boil rate i want. they are the burners that came with the turkey fryer kit.

bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

I bought a camp chef and it is awesome. Has some extension legs to lift it (safely) up to about 3 feet off the ground. For my brewing methods (siphoning, etc) that extra height really helps. Plus the BTU rating can get 7 gallons up to a boil very quickly.

Love it.

Brinkman turkey fryer works for me...though it requires some slight modification to bypass the safety hardware. For me that meant cutting and soldering some wires. It was $60 on sale at Home Depot.

It has the first burner shown in this thread...the stand will hold full keggle for 10 gallon batches too.

But that KAB6 sure is sexy...for a burner.

very cool, where can you order this style\brand

this type comes with most turkey fryers and there is an agricultural online store (i can't remember the name for the life of me! and it's linked on this site in a few places...) where you get get these burners for like $7 each and the regulators aren't much more expensive for them... so, if you're mounting them yourself, this is the way to go... plus, they have full burners stands and such on this store... i'll see if i can remember what the URL is, hopefully someone else knows what i'm talking about.

this type comes with most turkey fryers and there is an agricultural online store (i can't remember the name for the life of me! and it's linked on this site in a few places...) where you get get these burners for like $7 each and the regulators aren't much more expensive for them... so, if you're mounting them yourself, this is the way to go... plus, they have full burners stands and such on this store... i'll see if i can remember what the URL is, hopefully someone else knows what i'm talking about.
http://www.agrisupply.com

i have two very similar to this. i have one 5PSI regulator and one 10PSI regulator and have never had any problems whatsoever getting up to and maintaining a boil. in fact, i have to turn down my regulator pretty low to get the boil rate i want. they are the burners that came with the turkey fryer kit.

bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

I have the same burner that came with a 5 psi regulator and have alot of trouble getting to boil.. do you boil in a garage or outdoors?
I was wondering if i should try and get a 10 psi regulator for it. Can you tell a difference between the two?

I have the same burner that came with a 5 psi regulator and have alot of trouble getting to boil.. do you boil in a garage or outdoors?
I was wondering if i should try and get a 10 psi regulator for it. Can you tell a difference between the two?

Change it out to a 10 PSI.

I have 2 of this exact burner - 5 PSI and 10 PSI. 5 PSI works for heating sparge water. 10 PSI brings a full 6 Gal. to boil in below freezing weather in no time outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much have the same thought on my mind right now. I need/want a new burner...I have a small propane burner now, actually the first one posted. I also have access in my garage/where I brew for a natural gas burner.

IMO, going natural gas is the only option, with the option available. One of my biggest fears while brewing is running out of propane. Ive had the propane monitors...and they are almost never accurate.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/natural-gas-brew-stand-23-tip-burner-10-tip-conversion-build-91020/

I am going to build my stand out of the metal stock they have at home depot. I have a idea in my head, and just doing it is really all I need to do. Also, I plan to have 2 valves in my garage. My NG comes in through he garage and through the attic to my furnace room. I plan to put a T where it goes into the attic, run about a foot section, then put a valve right there....and then right before the exit put another valve for gas control for the burner. This way I can bleed the system and not have gas just sitting. My father in law says the extra valve isnt needed...I say a valve is $6. Why not?

Back