1/2 inch NPT thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to ebay and search for "bimetal thermometer" and look for the ones with a 1/2" threaded connector. I bought two new, surplus industrial thermometers a while back for $40 shipped. They sell for $250 each new.

Thanks...I should have been more specific. I can find 1/2" npt thermometers, I'm actually looking for specific recommendations on brands to trust or avoid...

Any of the industrial brands thermometers will last a lifetime. Just make sure it has an adjustment screw for calibration purposes.

Unfortunately, those are not adjustable. You can get an adjustable 5" dial face for $38 on ebay.

!BYLNT-QBmk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLlyV52BKgIJnPijg~~_12.JPG

when you say adjustable, do you mean being able to adjust the calibration if/when it gets out of whack? that seems critical for a bimetal thermometer.

side question: what length probe is recommended for a keggle? 3-4 inch? or does it matter?

when you say adjustable, do you mean being able to adjust the calibration if/when it gets out of whack? that seems critical for a bimetal thermometer.

Adjustable angle and temperature calibration.

side question: what length probe is recommended for a keggle? 3-4 inch? or does it matter?

You want the probe to have a 1" - 2" reach inside the kettle to get an accurate temperature reading. The length of the probe depends on whether you install a tee for a sight gauge, etc. I use a tee and a 6" probe gives me ~2 inches of reach.

Why do you need 6" probes? Just curious. I hate my 6" probe in the boil kettle cuz it gets in the way of the IC.

Exactly. Why would it need to stick in more than an inch or two?

(Um...I'd rephrase that if I could think of a better way to put it.)

Anyway we're looking at thermocouples because the one we have now works for pretty much....no one. 1/4" NPT with 2" immersion depth seems to be the winner for most. Why 1/2 vs. 1/4? Is it just because of a convenient size to put a hole in the kettle?

Exactly. Why would it need to stick in more than an inch or two?

(Um...I'd rephrase that if I could think of a better way to put it.)

Anyway we're looking at thermocouples because the one we have now works for pretty much....no one. 1/4" NPT with 2" immersion depth seems to be the winner for most. Why 1/2 vs. 1/4? Is it just because of a convenient size to put a hole in the kettle?

guessing you didn't see my post above yours.

guessing you didn't see my post above yours.

Well how long does it need to be to reach through the tee? Not everyone uses a sight glass. Having too long of a probe means it either interferes with the IC on the inside (Yes I saw that stated above) or gets knocked by someone's arm on the outside.

Having too short of one means you can't use it in your configuration. We are just looking for the best compromise. So far it's 2" immersion depth. That still gets through the Tee, right?

Well how long does it need to be to reach through the tee? Not everyone uses a sight glass. Having too long of a probe means it either interferes with the IC on the inside (Yes I saw that stated above) or gets knocked by someone's arm on the outside.

Having too short of one means you can't use it in your configuration. We are just looking for the best compromise. So far it's 2" immersion depth. That still gets through the Tee, right?

there's a thread on here where a guy bought the same sight glass I did and said he was using the 6" probe so 2" ended up in the pot.

I don't have them in yet so I'm unsure of their size, but I'm fairly sure a 2" probe isn't going to cut it.

thanks for speaking up! excited to get my order. do you have any recommendations for a thermometer for this site glass?

also, will the fitting leak if there's no thermometer installed?

I think the ebay link earlier is a good price for a decent thermometer that can be calibrated. You do have to specify your probe size on their auctions.

http://myworld.ebay.com/howegauges/

I've spoke through email with them and they seem like nice people. Decent prices.

If you do not install a thermometer you will need to put a plug in the hole. You can get a brass plug at home depot or lowes.

Back