Build or Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a decent price, I am building a kegerator right now, and I purchased a Frigidaire 445GM from Lowe's, and my keg supplies from Kegconnection.com. My build is coming in at around 6bills total, with new mini fridge, 2 corny kegs, 5#co2 tank, dual body Taprite regulator, check valves, gas hose, beer line, perlick faucets, dual tower, faucet wrench, connectors, etc... I don't know if your kegerator comes w/perlick faucets or not, but for $100 more I am getting the kegs, and a co2 tank with a dual body taprite regulator. So weigh your options.

I am almost certain that once my build is done the fridge I purchased will be smaller than the unit that the kegerator you are looking into is made.

Regardless, buying it saves you the time and the hassle of having to build it, and I'm sure it is more suited for larger kegs. The unit I am building will fit one 1/6 barrel, or two 5 gallon corny kegs, not a 1/2 or 1/4 barrel. If you plan on utilizing the larger keg sizes then it is a good choice. I don't know what you might be paying for shipping either so definitely take that into account.

Delivered to me it will come out to $627 and change, I'm only into mine at about $594, but I do need to purchase some odds and ends, so all said and done it will be close to the same as what I will end up paying for my build.

Having said that, I will have a slightly smaller unit (less diverse however, only using either one 1/6 barrel or two 5 gallon corny kegs), but I don't plan on buying 1/2 or 1/4 barrels, and even 1/6 barrels...I'm a home brewer! Plus,evey time I pull a pint I can relish in the fact that I made my kegerator, and I can brag to anyone who comes by. :D

All said, I'd say build it...contribute to the vendors here on HBT, as they are truly helping the home brewers here, and I support them in their efforts. Plus you found a good deal and I am kicking myself right now, but again, I am weighing the options...size, convenience, and bragging rights are all coming into play.

Take the time to think about exactly what you want in a kegerator, and how it will suit your needs, either way, good luck and enjoy!

Cheers!
BGB

P.S. That is a good price, dammit, sometimes I hate this place - I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short...I think I'll change my sig!

It comes down to preference. I like tinkering around with things and building things. I built my kegerator from a free craig's list score. I had my keg kit that cost me 200 from a couple years ago so for the price I say build!

You can find those small fridges on craigslist for about $50 pretty regularly. You can buy a new co2 tank & regulator on ebay for ~$100 and the same for a double faucet tower. Another $50-75 for the ball lock couplers and hose/fittings. If you take your time and look for the best deals, you could probably build that for around $300.

You can definitely build one for the same price or less that will look much nicer. Let me rephrase that. "One can be built for the same price or less that will look much nicer". Whether or not you can depends on your DIY skills. For example, Check out Jezters Keezer build. Post number 130 in the thread shows the completed prokect. They can look VERY nice. Or the "Show us your kegerator" thread for ideas of what others are building.

Try checking craigslist a few months for used commercial mini ridge kegerators. You can usually snag one for around 300-400 which is worth it in my opinion. Then you can just upgrade to add a line or two. I almost wish I had done that since you can squeeze 3 kegs into some models.

I am happy with my 2-tap mini fridge though. came out pretty nice. Took about 2 hours of work. And all you really need to be able to do is measure correctly and drill a hole.

I've looked at Jezters and others and it is what inspired me to move away from picnic taps. I already have the co2 tank and regulators for two kegs so I'm really only looking at 160 for a dual tower a new temp regulator a freezer and the wood work. Problem is I've never been handy so tht is my concern. I don't want to pour 400-500 into it and it look like I skimmed it from a garage sale. With buying I know what I'll get, not as cool bit t least I already know the look. So there is my dilema...keep te opinions flying.

Ps- typing on the iPhone sucks

Latest posts

Back