Best prices for better buckets online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
It's only been 4 days since I got my first batch (an American amber) into the fermenter. Considering that I haven't stopped thinking about, or reading about brewing for the last 2.5 weeks I figure I may as well just jump right into it. I literally woke up thinking about bottling this morning.

I have a short list of things that I want to upgrade right away, first being a second fermenter so I can get 2 batches going at once. I know I'm going to be super impatient about letting the bottles condition properly, and my roommates will be breathing down my neck as well. I think picking up a second fermenter will be the best way for me to get a pipeline going with a variety of beers (i'm itching to get an Ubu clone started).

Where is the best place online to buy a better bucket? My LHBS doesn't carry them, and the prices I've found online seem like they are a little steep.

Thanks in advance... I feel like this new hobby is the beginning of a beautiful lifelong relationship for me. Its killing me being on the road this week when all I want to do is sit and watch bubbles come through my airlock.

I think you are referring to Better Bottles?

They are pretty steep.

Would you prefer another option, for $15 that comes with a handle and is just as light as the Better Bottle and has a handle?

It is called a Winpak, you can get them from USPlasitcs.com

I think you are referring to Better Bottles?

They are pretty steep.

Would you prefer another option, for $15 that comes with a handle and is just as light as the Better Bottle and has a handle?

Awesome product...I may have to order 2 or 3 of them, just drill a hole in the cap for an airlock gasket hole I assume?

Awesome product...I may have to order 2 or 3 of them, just drill a hole in the cap for an airlock gasket hole I assume?

It comes with a lid that seals air tight... remove the screw on lid and use a #11.5 drilled stopper and put your airlock in that.

Oops... Yeah, I meant better bottle. The winpak is perfect, ordering one right now.

Oops... Yeah, I meant better bottle. The winpak is perfect, ordering one right now.

You can also put boiling hot wort in them, they are HDPE... they handle it well. That would melt a Better Bottle in seconds.

To clean them, go to Walmart and buy SUN brand Oxygen cleaner ($2 for 30oz.) and use one scoop to 6 gallons of water. Soak, rinse and sanitize with StarSan. That is all I do.

After reading about this I went to my local walmart. They don't sell anything like that so far as I can tell.

Well, then you will have to buy the expensive stuff, Oxi Clean for $2 a pound... :D

Pol,

Are the Winpacks easy to clean? I have never seen one in person and I'm wondering if there are a lot of hard to reach areas that only oxiclean would reach.

I like the handle == the Better Bottle I use as fermenter iss great, except trying to pick up w/flexing plastic (I know - put in a milk crate)]

I went to US Plastics site...interesting products..

Pol,

Are the Winpacks easy to clean? I have never seen one in person and I'm wondering if there are a lot of hard to reach areas that only oxiclean would reach.

You never want to use a brush on a plastic fermentor... if you do, you are asking for an infection.

That being said, yes I ONLY soak in Oxi, dump, rinse, sanitize. They are actually really EASY to clean as you dont have to use any elbow grease, just a soak.

I guess what I meant was are there any areas that are hard to see. I like to be sure that my fermentor is clean visually.

I guess what I meant was are there any areas that are hard to see. I like to be sure that my fermentor is clean visually.

Sure there are, like the underside of the top... never been too worried about it.:D

Thanks for the tip. I ordered two--figured for that price I'd give it a shot.

Back