Beware of Comcast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Comcast is making the news locally because of a sneaky move they did to try and force users to accept a change in their agreements with Comcast that will limit a customer's ability to sue them.

Montgomery Co. Officials Urge Comcast Opt-Out
Arbitration Notice Sent In July Bill

POSTED: 3:16 pm EDT July 27, 2007
UPDATED: 3:46 pm EDT July 27, 2007

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Montgomery County officials warned Comcast cable subscribers Thursday to opt out of an arbitration notice included in their bills in order to preserve their consumer rights.

The Comcast Arbitration Notice was sent along with customers' July bills. It was sent without county approval and attempts to change the terms of the subscriber agreement and limit subscriber rights, according to officials.

County officials said the subscriber's best protection is to opt out of the policy within 30 days from the date of receipt of the bill.

"We are concerned about this arbitration notice because it uses a negative option technique to deny consumers the opportunity to affirmatively accept the change in their service agreement with Comcast," County Executive Isiah Leggett said in a statement. "Vendors should not change the terms of service without first receiving the consent of the consumer, and the fact that Comcast has not done this is disturbing."

"We are concerned that subscribers will unknowingly give up some of their consumer rights by failing to opt out in time," said Jane Lawton, Montgomery County’s cable administrator. "Comcast customers need to know that they do not have to accept this unilateral change in terms of their service."

According to Comcast, customers who do not opt out of the arbitration notice within 30 days of receiving the notice will relinquish their right to pursue any legal remedies against Comcast in court, including claims for negligence, fraud or intentional wrongdoing. Nor can they join together as a class to seek common remedies. Comcast also attempts to limit the time in which subscribers can file a claim for injuries to one year and an even shorter time for billing disputes.

However, the changed policy preserves Comcast’s rights to pursue those suits it is most likely to have against individual subscribers, such as copyright violations, unauthorized use or receipt of service, and small claims, according to county officials. These are excluded from the arbitration notice.

Comcast customers can opt out of the arbitration notice either online or by mail.

Online:

Go to comcast.com/arbitrationoptout and fill out the form. Subscribers will need a copy of their Comcast bill so they can enter their entire customer account number as it appears on the bill. If they have difficulties they should call 800-COMCAST (800-266-2278) and report the problem. They should keep a copy of the form.

By Mail:

Subscribers should write a note to Comcast that includes their name, address, Comcast account number and a statement that they do not wish to resolve disputes with Comcast through arbitration, and then mail to: Comcast, 1500 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102, ATTN: Legal Department/Arbitration. They should also keep a copy of the letter they send to Comcast.

Comcast subscribers who have any problems or concerns should contact the County Office of Cable and Communications Services at 240-773-2288.

I don't know what's worse, their attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of their customers or this guy's bill:

91782169_ef49081bb9.jpg

Wow, $3M for the silver package? Imagine what Gold or Platinum cost ....

I hate comsuck, esp. for reasons like this....I boycott them at all costs. I am a happy Fios customer

98EXL said:
I hate comsuck, esp. for reasons like this....I boycott them at all costs. I am a happy Fios customer

I've been a Comcast customer for years, even when I had Dish Network for a couple of years, I still held onto Comcast for my internet service. I just switched back to them for television; but I haven't been too happy. I signed up for their Triple Play service. When the installer arrived, he only had instructions to install my two DVRs. Of course the idiot who took my initial order screwed up and never entered it correctly. Now I had to wait an additional two weeks to have the cable modem and phone service installed. In addition, when the installer left my house, only one of the two DVRs was displaying all of my subscribed channels. A Comcast rep was quick to tell me that I would have to wait till the installer officially closed out his call, before it would be available. Naturally it was a Friday afternoon and the Comcast rep explained that I would probably have to wait till Monday. Well a week later, he still didn't close out his call. Now I demanded that they activate all of my subscribed channels, NOW! Magically, they were able to circumnavigate their rule and my channels appeared. That wasn't the end of my problems. They automatically deduct the payment from my checking account each month. The next billing cycle rolls along and I find they've charged me $315 for one month of service. Furious, I call them up, only to be given another phone number to call. Then it takes a rep two and a half days to resolve the issue and credit me $191 dollars. To top everything off, I get more pixelation and audio interruptions than I ever did with satellite service.

I'm just waiting for Verizon FIOS to arrive in my area. I'm surprised it isn't available where I live, considering the VP of Verizon lives one block down my street in his 15 million dollar home. My parents just got it in Lewes, Delaware and absolutely love it.

98EXL said:

How is the TV and Internet service? What is your monthly bill?

I have Comcast for cable and internet. I love the internet connection speed but my monthly bill is starting to wear on me. It's almost $100 a month and we don't even have digital cable.
I've noticed lately that they have been pulling stations off regular cable and they put a notice on the screen that says you have to subscribe to digital to receive those channels. I am not as big a fan of COMCAST as I used to be.:(

yeah, we pay about $60/mo for the internet now, but no tv. i don't watch tv anyway and i download/rent/buy all my movies. we get amazing bandwidth, however, so between the netflix streaming and the downloading i think the price is worth it.

I have comcast. I was literaly the first kid on the block to get a cable modem about 10 years ago. I was between the 10th and 50th person to get cable internet in salem oregon. My buddy had a friend that had it first. The INSANE download speeds worked great for him. There were rumors of him downloaded ps1 games and modding playstations. Before any of the adds came out I got it. Surfing the net was beyond kick ass shortly thereafter. Now about 10 years later I'm wishing I had a more reliable service that had some TV that I could afford. What is this verizon stuff you guys are talking about? How do I find out if it's available in my neighborhood? Does it have internet AND TV?

We only pay for the high-speed internet and it's $60/month. Haven't had too many problems, but I do wish something better would come along.

For all you FIOS subscribers-did the installer remove all of your copper cabling to install the fiber-optics? I read somewhere they were doing this without informing the customer, effectively making it the customers responsibility to reinstall the copper lines if they wanted to switch back from FIOS.

I live in an area where Comcast is the only game in town when it comes to offering fast internet and digital cable. So no competition means high prices and bad service. I remeber back in the good old days when the cable companies were trying to pull you away from the phone companies and they would offer cable, internet, and phone for $99/month.

Comcast offers some discount on internet if you have digital cable but not the other way, if AT&T comes a long with a good deal on DSL I will probably drop comcast.

I dislike Comcast but HATE DirecTV so I am dealing with it.

Comcast bought out Adelphia where I used to live. My co-worker was under the change (I moved before they took over). Aside from the bill jumping like $20 overnight and billing mistakes, they had all sorts of connectivity problems. He went with Verizon DSL.

Flyin' Lion said:
For all you FIOS subscribers-did the installer remove all of your copper cabling to install the fiber-optics? I read somewhere they were doing this without informing the customer, effectively making it the customers responsibility to reinstall the copper lines if they wanted to switch back from FIOS.
I think that's what they did to my parents' house. Verizon owns everything up to and including the NID (the box on the side of your house where your telephone service comes in.) My understanding is if they choose to switch that line from copper to fiber optic, it's their property so they can do so. I know my parents didn't ask for any changes... Verizon just called them and said "we're changing to fiber optic in your neighborhood" and that was that. The copper inside your house is yours, though, and Verizon can't take it or replace it without your permission.

As far as I can see, this is a big money maker for Verizon in a bunch of different ways. First off, they enter the TV market. How huge is that? Second, fiber optics lines are cheaper than copper to maintain--they even get a return on scrapping the old copper lines (although I'm sure it's not much compared to the cost of the labor involved with switching everything over.) They can get by with fewer COs spaced farther apart because there is much less degradation of signal over long distances with fiber optics. Fiber optics don't like to pick up EMI, RFI, etc. --with the increased cluttering of the airwaves in residential areas, copper is getting to be a problem. And of course there is the obvious benefit of vastly increased bandwidth.

Orpheus said:
You can check if you can get fios here: www.verizon.com/fios

I got a package deal. They have Fios internet, television, and local and long distance unlimited calling phone service for $99.99 a month.

I was paying $99.99 a month with Comcast and that was WITHOUT my phone.

we are paying about $100 a month for HD DVR, Standard STB, 15/2MB internet, and cheesy phone....not too bad IMHO

Less HD pixelation than Comsuck and way better quality also IMHO.

Orpheus said:
You can check if you can get fios here: www.verizon.com/fios

ok, that's NOT promising. I clicked on the link then to check for availability I entered my personal info and the site diddn't work. Entered my address and clicked the GO button and it came back to it asking me to please enter a street address and not a PO BOX... retarded website!!!! TELL ME IF I CAN GET THE GOOD STUFF!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!! :drunk: I hope that isn't a sign of what is to come if I can get service.

One of the reasons I waited through 5+ years of another ISP before switching to Verizon was because their website was down almost EVERY time I tried to use it to pay my phone bill... literally dozens of times over a couple of years. They also managed to f___ the automatic bill payment service at least four or five times on me, and then they have the nerve to deny it and slap extra charges on my next bill because their system didn't work. Funny when I get a bill in the mail that says "DO NOT SEND PAYMENT - You are enrolled in automatic bill payment" and then month after month they screw it up!

One positive has been that since I switched to Verizon for internet, the trouble/service calls get answered more quickly. Before, I had to argue with my ISP, then get them to argue with Verizon, then Verizon would come out and verify the problem. Also, they let me bundle my phone, internet and Directv on one bill. I didn't have to change anything with my Directv account... they just put it on my Verizon bill and gave me a discount.

the only complaints I have with Verizon is twice this month, they shut off service because of non payment....for a future payment. They did this to my Fios and my wireless.....both were made before the due dates, two weeks to be exact, and they 'never got it' but my checking account showing processed payments said otherwise. They turned it back on, but WTF?

Latest posts

Back