Cascadia Dark Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Cascadia dark ale is the greatest beer style ever! Its everything good about ales IMO. Malt, hops and a nice roastiness. Pure ecstacy to drink. The one I made is imperial btw to excuse my lack of simple sentence structure :drunk: Its fantastic! anyone agree?

I agree that roasty, high IBU, hoppy beers are good, but why do they need their own name? What is unique about "Cascadia Dark Ales" to warrant a separate style? How is it not just a variation on an American stout, or a Russian Imperial stout?

Oh god not this tired old conversation of namesakes again! India Black Ale. That's what it is. Period.

Cascading Darks or Black IPAs really aren't stouts. They aren't typically as roasty, or nearly as thick as imperial stout.

I don't have a problem with them as their own style, but will sidestep the argument about name.

I make a BLACK IPA every so often for my wife. Definitely much different than a stout/porter; not even close. I have it on tap now and I'm pretty sure I've settled on a recipe once and for all.

I think they should be called cascadian dark ales... Only reason is because that name sounds awesome! Black IPA is a fine name, but has no snap.... And it's a contradiction of sorts, a black pale makes no sense. The style is also the furthest thing from an RIS or most other dark ales.

Overall doesn't matter, but the confusion with RIS has to go. Love the style though.

The name is irrelevant, after one (or two) too many I decided to make a thread stating how great the beer style is. It doesnt matter what its called its a damn fine style to drink :drunk:

Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous and Deschute's Hop in the Dark are two great takes on the style. Must be a west coast thang. You can call it a Black IPA or Cascadian Dark Ale, I just call it delicious! :mug:

Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous and Deschute's Hop in the Dark are two great takes on the style. Must be a west coast thang. You can call it a Black IPA or Cascadian Dark Ale, I just call it delicious! :mug:

I picked up an empty Stone this weekend that they call, "Escondidian Black Ale". Surely a poke at the Cascadian Black Ale name.

Homercidal said:
I picked up an empty Stone this weekend that they call, "Escondidian Black Ale". Surely a poke at the Cascadian Black Ale name.

A delicious beer. I'm going up to the brewery on wed to get some straight from the source

Back