Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one's more of an open world action game like AC, it's getting good reviews.

Thanks all for the cost breakdown of online play. I think I'll still go with PS4 by the looks of it, also gets me farther away from the Evil Empire that is MS

Shadow of Mordor looks awesome IMO, more like an action RPG. I heard where they try to differentiate is in the Orc play. You can possess a low-level Orc an work your way up the chain of command to the top Orc rank and then use that in gameplay. New depth to game design methinks

Thanks all for the cost breakdown of online play. I think I'll still go with PS4 by the looks of it, also gets me farther away from the Evil Empire that is MS

Shadow of Mordor looks awesome IMO, more like an action RPG. I heard where they try to differentiate is in the Orc play. You can possess a low-level Orc an work your way up the chain of command to the top Orc rank and then use that in gameplay. New depth to game design methinks

Saw on the news that Gates is trying to donate $4.5 mil toward ebola vaccine developement and can't seem to find any takers.

Sony isn't much of an angel themselves.

I need to find some time for gameplay again. Think I am going to reinstall Skyrim or FO3 on my puter and see if i can find a chance to go round killin stuff.

Maybe I should do a bad thing and try out another of the free to play MMOS and play it for 2 months until I dont have the patience for it anymore.

Then again, I have a girlfriend now, I dont have time for both her and a game obsession.

Skyrim reinstall it is then.

Path of Exile is a good one to try DrunkleJon. You will likely enjoy it for a month and then get sick of it. It was the perfect quick fix for me when I was about to relapse back to my computer gaming.

Shadow of Mordor looks really good. It got a 9.2 on IGN. I want to get it but i cant spend $50 on a game. I'll wait till the Steam winter sale or maybe even wait for the Steam summer sale to get this one.

Wow good old Evercrack ahh the days of being a Chanter in Seb, or the ringing cry's of TRAIN in Blackburrow or KC and who could forget the endless camping for that FBSS...

You should check out Shards of Dalaya its a free to play EQ mod that's pretty good that has some well developed content for all levels and play-styles without being WoW.

Just don't assume that you know EQ you know SoD.

The only game I have the time to play is Everquest. I played it quite a bit when it was just coming out back in 1999, but I stopped playing it in 2005 and took up Eve... Then had a kid and some free time went away.. Had another and even more went away.. Had one more and now I can't even get through a 30 minute TV program without multiple interruptions.

A little video gaming history... My dad used to bring home an Emerson suitcase computer from work on the weekends and when he was not using it, he allowed me to play some Space Invaders-esque game. So at age 11 I got myself a paper route and within a year I had saved enough money to buy a Commodore 64..1982 ish. Some of my favorites on that system were Jumpman Junior, MULE, Buck Rogers, Roadwar 2000, Zork, Questron, Pirates...

And then with the advent of the personal computer I bought a 100 mhz machine with a 14.4k modem, and I remember upgrading the computer to a 133 mhz processor and thinking "OMG this is so fast!" Back in those days I spent time playing Leisure Suit Larry, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, Mech Warrior, Sim City and Transport Tycoon..

But the game I sunk the most time into was Command & Conquer.. So much so that I was ranked in the Top 50 players worldwide on Case's Ladder. Around that time I started freelance writing, getting published on Gamestats and a few other early gaming websites. Not too long after that, MMORPGs started to come out and I was instantly hooked on Ultima Online. I got into the beta program for the game in 1994 and played non-stop until the Everquest beta in 1999. I'd gotten some more articles published , writing about the craziness that takes place in online games that span timezones and language barriers.

In the mid-2000s I got a little gig writing articles for Vault Network which allowed me to play just about every MMORPG before they were commercially available. Asheron's Call, Auto Assault, Shadowbane, Matrix Online, Eve Online, Earth & Beyond, City of Heroes... There were so many. Around 2005 I got a bit burned out on fantasy MMOs and took up space MMOs instead.. Eve was the game of choice. I played it with my eldest son on my lap.. Eve was cool in that you did not need your hands on a mouse all the time.. Many tasks were automated and it was not a death sentence to leave the PC for a bit. I could leave and come back to my ship just floating in space, right where I left it.

And then marriage happened.. And two more sons... And the free time completely evaporated. I'm not complaining, the priorities just shifted.

Nowadays the gaming is had by the two older sons.. The five year old plays a World War 2 fighter pilot game called War Thunder and the oldest son plays Call of Duty on the Playsation, Minecraft or War Thunder with his little brother. I'd heard that Everquest was still churning out expansions, and upon checking I found that the game was free to play now. By current standards the graphics are dated and the playerbase has matured so nearly everyone is at the end-game with very few slowly rising up through the levels.. But once or twice a week I get an hour hear or there to log in and relive the glory days.

I just recently sold my EQ account for $1000. Too bad it was when I had just graduated and was broke, that kind of cash right now would've grabbed some nice brewing upgrades.

CS:GO all the way! PC gaming is the only proper way to game.

How does GO compare to Source or regular ol' CS?

I still play classic CS (or Source if there are not enough good servers going), but been tempted to try GO lately. I'm not sure what the difference is though, apart from graphics.

Wow good old Evercrack ahh the days of being a Chanter in Seb, or the ringing cry's of TRAIN in Blackburrow or KC and who could forget the endless camping for that FBSS...

You should check out Shards of Dalaya its a free to play EQ mod that's pretty good that has some well developed content for all levels and play-styles without being WoW.

Just don't assume that you know EQ you know SoD.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out!

How does GO compare to Source or regular ol' CS?

I still play classic CS (or Source if there are not enough good servers going), but been tempted to try GO lately. I'm not sure what the difference is though, apart from graphics.

its a combo of 1.6 and source. all the good qualities mixed into one! competitive mode along with gun skins. its a win.

Borderlands Pre Sequel is good. A lot of the second game that we love with some new machanics thrown in. It starts out agonizingly slow though. The first playthrough is quite solo friendly, we'll see if that holds up to endgame content.
I've found a few gamebreaking bugs in the 360 version, which irks me but upon a reload and do over, they were fixed.

Borderlands Pre Sequel is good. A lot of the second game that we love with some new machanics thrown in. It starts out agonizingly slow though. The first playthrough is quite solo friendly, we'll see if that holds up to endgame content.
I've found a few gamebreaking bugs in the 360 version, which irks me but upon a reload and do over, they were fixed.

I just got into BL2 recently. Steam had a great deal on the game with all the DLCs. I'm at OP8 about to do some of the DLC quests. It was a lot of fun. Wish they would add more extra quests after OP8 though.

BLTPS is great in that it's more Borderlands. I am NOT a fan of the space jump shizz.

Have also been playing Destiny, not enough to get past Lvl 9, and already I am getting bored with it. Of course I am also playing Halo with my son so there is a LOT of similarity in play style here.

The Evil Within is interesting but for now I am stuck in a "Zombie killer" section and underwhelmed.

And finally, Alien Isolation. Overall I am really impressed with this game. The section I am in is REALLY SLOW tho'.

BLTPS is great in that it's more Borderlands. I am NOT a fan of the space jump shizz.

Have also been playing Destiny, not enough to get past Lvl 9, and already I am getting bored with it. Of course I am also playing Halo with my son so there is a LOT of similarity in play style here.

The Evil Within is interesting but for now I am stuck in a "Zombie killer" section and underwhelmed.

And finally, Alien Isolation. Overall I am really impressed with this game. The section I am in is REALLY SLOW tho'.

I bought Destiny when it first came out. Haven't played since the first week. I hate it. I keep wanting to give it another try but it was so boring. Same missions in the same areas.

I was really reluctant to buy that one. Still haven't got it. I may eventually but I'm really waiting to crack out on the division. That game will consume me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was really reluctant to buy that one. Still haven't got it. I may eventually but I'm really waiting to crack out on the division. That game will consume me.

I don't have an XBox One but the Division and Quantum Break might give cause to buy one.

Don't have enough time to play all the games I have for my PS3 machines. I don't really see the killer game for buying a PS4 either. Frankly the social integration aspect seems to me not so important. Are the graphics all that different or better than the PS3? I don't have any Xbox machines, but the Xbox one is intriguing because it has the Forza game, which has Sebring on it, which is missing from the Gran Turismo, oh and Halo, which I've only fiddled with on an underpowered PC years ago.
In the mean time, I've also got a load of PC games and MAME to occupy my free time,not to mention I still haven't worked through borderlands 2!
TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Don't have enough time to play all the games I have for my PS3 machines. I don't really see the killer game for buying a PS4 either. Frankly the social integration aspect seems to me not so important. Are the graphics all that different or better than the PS3? I don't have any Xbox machines, but the Xbox one is intriguing because it has the Forza game, which has Sebring on it, which is missing from the Gran Turismo, oh and Halo, which I've only fiddled with on an underpowered PC years ago.
In the mean time, I've also got a load of PC games and MAME to occupy my free time,not to mention I still haven't worked through borderlands 2!
TD

what are you using for your mame OS? I just picked up a 4 player GI Joe cab that I was thinking about flipping to MAME, only problem I've read so far is that mame isn't 4 player.

As long as the game isn't a port, ie watch dogs, there's a pretty big difference in graphics from previous to current gen. In my opinion anyway.

I also do not care for the social integration of the ps4. However the dedicated button is nice for taking screen shots. Which I do occasionally.

I also don't use hardly any of the entertainment features of the Xbox one either. Hooking it to a cable box has no appeal to me.

All my MAME stuff is really rather ancient. Probably ten years old? I have it on an old PC that runs XP. It struggles with some of the more demanding games, but those I'm typically not interested in anyway. I like the classics. I'm getting ready to hook it up to a TV I just installed in my basement brew room/storage room. Eventually I'll go electric and the basement will be my man cave. Only thing missing is a urinal...

As far as new PS4, the specs on PS3 are standard HD 1080p, but I suspect that most if not all games are at 720p. I've not seen any PS3 titles at 1080 to my knowledge, but maybe batman? That was a really fun game.. Haven't gotten into the sequel that much.

TD

I've got a few keys for the Evolve alpha that's going on this weekend if anybody wanted to check it out :D

Edit: One left

Requirements: Steam, 64bit CPU

I've got a few keys for the Evolve alpha that's going on this weekend if anybody wanted to check it out :D

Requirements: Steam, 64bit CPU

I'd like to check it out if you have any left. Thanks!! If not, no worries and thanks for offering.

Been playing The Last of Us when I have time, which is hardly ever. Just finished it on Plus mode. Now I just load the game from my favorite part where you play as Ellie and she's in the abandoned vacation area with the small cabins. I just sneak around shooting dudes with the bow and arrow.

I picked up Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare yesterday and put in about three hours of multiplayer and a few chapters of campaign. I may give it until the end of this weekend but feel I may just give it to one of my less fortunate friends. Battlefield 4 is just more enjoyable when we have time to play games.

I picked up Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare yesterday and put in about three hours of multiplayer and a few chapters of campaign. I may give it until the end of this weekend but feel I may just give it to one of my less fortunate friends. Battlefield 4 is just more enjoyable when we have time to play games.

I feel like you either like BF or COD. Most people don't like both. I have played all the CODs and love them. I tried BF once and hated it.

I picked up AW too. I really like it. I usually don't like the new COD right away. It takes me a while to learn the maps and get used to everything. This one I seemed to do really well right off the bat. I'm already at level 28.

It has been freezing and can be very laggy. I had to hard reset once already. When scrolling through guns in create a class, the gun images don't load right away. This seems to be a well known issue. A lot of people are having the same problem. Hopefully they fix it soon.

I feel like you either like BF or COD. Most people don't like both. I have played all the CODs and love them. I tried BF once and hated it.

I picked up AW too. I really like it. I usually don't like the new COD right away. It takes me a while to learn the maps and get used to everything. This one I seemed to do really well right off the bat. I'm already at level 28.

It has been freezing and can be very laggy. I had to hard reset once already. When scrolling through guns in create a class, the gun images don't load right away. This seems to be a well known issue. A lot of people are having the same problem. Hopefully they fix it soon.

I actually flip-flopped my interest. I loved all the CoD games, mustered together a rather successful clan for wars in the previous two. Advanced Warfare is definitely cool it's just beating a dead horse. There is just more to do in BF, I'm not bias at all it just seems to be a more entertaining use of my drunk Friday nights. I can bring my friends to tears by having them watch me try to pilot a helicopter after a twelve pack of Sierra Nevada. Or forgetting to pop the 'chute after jumping from a roflcopter.

However, I have not had any of those issues you mentioned with AW yet. I'm doing okay, only level 40 after a couple hours here and there after work. The only thing that really suffers is my K/D. The last few games have been quite difficult for me to run & gun on. My connection suffered so much all of a sudden I had to change the way I play and be very methodical. It is disheartening to be shooting at someone just for them to turn around and kill you. Kill cam shows that I didn't even throw one bullet. Having turbo interwebs and getting beat to the punch by people playing on McDonalds wifi... meeh.. /rant.

I actually flip-flopped my interest. I loved all the CoD games, mustered together a rather successful clan for wars in the previous two. Advanced Warfare is definitely cool it's just beating a dead horse. There is just more to do in BF, I'm not bias at all it just seems to be a more entertaining use of my drunk Friday nights. I can bring my friends to tears by having them watch me try to pilot a helicopter after a twelve pack of Sierra Nevada. Or forgetting to pop the 'chute after jumping from a roflcopter.

However, I have not had any of those issues you mentioned with AW yet. I'm doing okay, only level 40 after a couple hours here and there after work. The only thing that really suffers is my K/D. The last few games have been quite difficult for me to run & gun on. My connection suffered so much all of a sudden I had to change the way I play and be very methodical. It is disheartening to be shooting at someone just for them to turn around and kill you. Kill cam shows that I didn't even throw one bullet. Having turbo interwebs and getting beat to the punch by people playing on McDonalds wifi... meeh.. /rant.

I'll trade you two Miller lite's and 12 Bud's for the game ;)

I've seen a few posts about Advanced Warfare... I'm trying to get a brewers clan going on PS3 online. I'm not very competitive when it comes to online gaming, but It'd be nice to play with some people with similar interests. If you're interested add me on PSN my name is the same as on here, bulldogwinters.

I also play GTA online and rockband 3. :mug:

I've seen a few posts about Advanced Warfare... I'm trying to get a brewers clan going on PS3 online. I'm not very competitive when it comes to online gaming, but It'd be nice to play with some people with similar interests. If you're interested add me on PSN my name is the same as on here, bulldogwinters.

I also play GTA online and rockband 3. :mug:

Haha nice! I run Drunkernaughts clan that has one try-hard, the rest of us just get plastered and play.

Now that it is starting to cool off outside, and getting dark earlier, I picked back up on State of Decay. Fun game, I give it a thumbs up.

Back