Accuflex tubing length for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Late last year I got some Accuflex tubing and though tedious, got it installed in my 3 tier tap. I was told that 14 ft was a good place to start and so far, it's worked pretty good for me at 12 psi but I wonder if I really need that much.
Sure, I shouldn't mess with what's working but am curious for those who use this tubing what lengths you've used.
I have a small kegerator with 3 kegs and all the line inside such a small space is a problem when changing kegs and the hose is hard and not easy to bend. I was hoping to remove a bit to ease things some.
The distance from the kegs to the tap is only about 18" or so.
So, what say ye?

The shortest length you can get away with using is highly variable, and depends on serving temperature and carbonation level. Unless someone is using the same serving temp and carb level as you, how long their lines are have very little relationship to how that length would work for you. The warmer or more highly carbed a beer is, the slower and gentler the pour needs to be to prevent excess CO2 from being knocked out of solution during the pour (requiring longer lines). Temperature is the more crucial factor by far. If you keep your beer ice cold, you can get away with pretty short lines even at relatively high carb levels.

I have 20 feet per keg. Pours are fast enough for me, and I know I've got plenty of insurance if I want to bump up the carb level. If it were me, I'd leave it. You can zip tie the lines into nice coils and tuck them out of the way, that's what I do.

I keep my beer between 39-40 degrees. Yes, the pour is pretty good but I do get some beers that foam at bit more than others, especially the first pour if they've set a few days between pours. I thought 14 was too long but used that anyway and thought going down to 12 would be a bit better.
I guess I should think about it more since things are relatively ok for now.

If you have foaming problems, definitely don't shorten the tubing. Do you have a keezer or regular fridge? Temperature stratification is usually the cause of "foamy first pour" syndrome.

Latest posts

Back