To bottle or keg a Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun_ATX

Reaction score
I will be brewing a Paulaner-style hefe (recipe courtesy of homebrewer_99)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/paulaner-style-hefe-weizen-32811/
and am trying to decide on a natural carb via bottling or carbing in a keg.

The recipe calls for adding 45 oz gyle for kraeusening at kegging time, I believe this will help to create a more hazy beer from the keg?

Looking for some input for which carbing method everyone prefers, and whether the overall taste is effected.

I bottle mine with priming sugar and they don't last long with kayak season coming up. I imagine if I kegged, regardless of carbonation process, I'd be out even faster. You really can't go wrong with this style as long as you use the right yeast and manage temperature.

I brew Hefe for one reason: to drink at the pool. Therefore even if I kegged I would end up bottling most if to take poolside anyway. I keg and force carb pretty much everything, but I think Hefes are a good candidate for natural carbonation for 3 reasons:

1) There is a ton of yeast left in suspension and they seem to carbonate full within like a week.

2) If they are kegged you have to shake the keg from time to time to make sure you have enough yeast in suspension. With bottle conditioning you always have the right amount of yeast in each bottle.

3) I don't have a regulator for each keg in my kegerator. This means all of them have to be kept at the same carbonation level. A Weizen should be highly carbed, far more carbonation than I want on my other kegs.

Thanks for input, I decided to bottling my Hefe, if only for the reason that I only have two kegs and they are spoken for with other brews better suited for a nice draft.

I am brewing this weekend and a few buddies are coming over with a few cases of microbrews to help built up a non-existent bottle collection. :tank:

Latest posts

Back