Keeping Primary Warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike35673

Reaction score
Ok. I have a Russian Imp Stout in my primary which I keep in a plastic bucket, in the upstairs bathroom. It's in the bathtub and I keep the door closed. We have a vent in there so it has remained around 66-68 degrees. No issues. I am happy with that. I have a dunkelweizen in the bottles in my basement and that I suspect is in the low 60's. I have been sampling a few beers from that batch and the carbonation and flavor are coming along very well.
Issue is I REALLY want to start a nice cream ale or something light and very drinkable for the summer, but I am concerned it might get a little too chilly in there once winter really hits(I am a Michigander).
Any northern brewers have tips or hints on keeping both your fermenter and bottles warm during the brutal winter months? Short of cranking the heat and driving my wife crazy? And what is really the lowest an ale can go tem wise before fermentation just quits?

I'm having great success in a 58-60F basement by filling a large Rubbermaid tote with about 7-10 gallons of water, placing the fermenting bucket in the water bath and using a submersible aquarium heater. The heater has it's own thermostat, and keeps the water at a very steady temperature.

This is how I ferment, and, at the suggestion of another HBT member, I'm now doing my bottle conditioning using the same method.

I'm having great success in a 58-60F basement by filling a large Rubbermaid tote with about 7-10 gallons of water, placing the fermenting bucket in the water bath and using a submersible aquarium heater. The heater has it's own thermostat, and keeps the water at a very steady temperature.

This is how I ferment, and, at the suggestion of another HBT member, I'm now doing my bottle conditioning using the same method.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Does this have a large power drain?

Keep in mind that fermentation temperature isn't always the same as the ambient room temperature, so use a stick-on thermometer to monitor the true fermentation temperature. Sometimes the temperature inside the fermenter is quite a bit higher than ambient temperature during vigorous fermentation.

Some ale yeast strains do very well at cooler temperatures. I ferment almost all of my ales at 60-64 degrees, but have done a cream ale with nottingham yeast at 57 degrees. It was very clean and crisp, with an almost lager-like characteristic. Pacman yeast does very well at 60 degrees, in my experience.

If your room is lower than about 60 degrees, you may want to do what I do. I have an Igloo cooler, and I put the fermenter into it. I fill it with water, and add an aquarium heater to keep that water at 65 degrees (or higher or lower, depending on what I'm making) and it works great! I float a thermometer in the water, to keep an eye on the temperature. The heater was about $15 at a pet store.

you can also buy a brewbelt or a fermwrap that will keep your brew warm. keep the bottles in a room where you feel comfortable. if your happy the yeast are happy. once your desired carbonation is reached stick them down in the basement and forget about them will summer. or you could just open the bathroom door.

I've got my stuff brewing I'm my closet with a couple incandescent lamps on a thermostat if it gets too cold to warm it back up. However, the aquarium heater idea seems much more efficient and then you also don't have to worry about dealing with a bunch of light

Back