DIY 14" drip tray (trough)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDoc_Md

Reaction score
Here's a cheap alternative for a drip tray made from a few simple Home Depot items.

Parts list:
$12 - 12 in. long trapazoidal SS mud pan (has a 14 in. long open top) {found in sheet-rock supply area}
$5 - 14 in. wide SS splashguard with perpendicular base {found in central heating supply area; bought in a 36 in. wide sheet, trimmed to size)
$1 - 18 in long SS grid {found in the roof gutter section; bought 36 in. long, trimmed to size}
$0 - reinforced with a spare chunk of 1x4 wood behind the splashguard; mud pan waterproofed with silicone caulk

The grid is merely bent around the edge of the mud pan (no nails, screws, etc) but is still stable/tight; plus its easy removal makes for easy cleaning. The mud pan sits on the shelf of the splashguard, secured by the splashguard lip and a magnet between the two. The mud pan is so deep, it's not really a tray, more of a trough :D

For those wanting more economy, there was a $4 mud pan made out of red plastic. Looked crappy, but certainly cheaper than the SS.

7-Kegerator-angle.jpg

Hey, that looks super sharp. Nice install :) Those other tap handles could use some love though. ;)

That sheet is more likely galvanized and not stainless. Not that I think it will rust, but I would have gone with the barproducts drip tray. You probably didn't know about it though.

Great work. I like the extra depth you have on that tray. Posted on here before was this 19" x 4" tray from barproducts.com for only $15.

Yeah, I saw that, over $21 with shipping. I tried to find other stuff on that site that I needed to justify the price (still need the splashguard)...couldn't at this point. May upgrade down the road, after I get GW's rebate. :mug:

The roof gutter grid is a perfect solution for home built drip trays. Most perforated metal required tends to cost more than the price of a finished drip tray, or close enough that it isn't worth it. That stuff is actually only $1? Cheap!

I'm not sure why so many driptrays have a backspash. I've poured many a pint on my system and have no beer splashed anywhere. Unless you're running 30psi with 1 foot of beer line, I think it's OK.

Splash Guard is totally a rip off. It is only useful if you can't put a glass in the right spot or decide you need your glass 12 feet below your tap.

Y'all are right, I can't see the splashguard actually protecting anything. However, it does allow for the drip tray to be used without having to drill holes in the freezer wall or lay it on the floor. My splashguard is attached to the rear of the face board with a few little nails. Maybe it needs a new name???

I'm not sure why so many driptrays have a backspash. I've poured many a pint on my system and have no beer splashed anywhere. Unless you're running 30psi with 1 foot of beer line, I think it's OK.
I had a splash guard on my BMC kegerator from college and it came in handy when you reached the end of the keg and foam sprayed everywhere. But if I did it again, I'd probably save the extra money, because the SS drip tray with back splash sure wasn't cheap.

Latest posts

Back