Other uses for grain (aside from brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We give my son Ovaltine in milk in the mornings and at nite before bed. The other day we were out of it and being that it's a habit he was upset that he didn;t have his "SuSu" (Malay speak for Milk). I really didn't feel like getting dressed and going to the store for a bottle of Ovaltine at 9:00 at nite.

It occured to me that I could grind up some Crystal and add it to the milk as an alternative to his normal malted milk mix. I have to say, it was wonderful. So much so that I made myself a glass too.

I took some Crystal 40 and grund it into powder in the cofee mill and added 3 heaping teaspoonfuls to 8 ounces of warmed milk (45 sec in micro).

Wow. Just Wow.

The next time I make this I think I will add a little bit of the inner pulp from a vanilla bean to give the mixture a little more depth.

Aside from using Malted barley in breadmaking, what other culinary uses have you found for your grain stores, what grain did you use, and how did you prepare it?

I've noticed the honeybees just love my spent grain pile.

Nightime belongs to coons or possums or coyotes.. ive even seen deer mess with it after it dries out a little bit.

Back