Ultimate sixer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdean

Reaction score
I came across a local store that has a huge beer list and will allow you to mix and match a six pack. Figured what place would be better than here to get ideas for the "ultimate sixer". So far I am thinking about these.....Brooklyn Local 1, Duvel Gold Ale, Shiner Kolsch, New Castle Brown Ale.....any other suggestions?

In the NW I would pick;

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Bridgeport IPA
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
Widmer Hefeweizen

What else is available?

I'd skip anything by Shiner, and I'd look for Hobgoblin in lieu of the Newcastle.

Some of my personal favorites:

Hoppy brews:
Bell's Two Hearted
Pliny the Elder
Stone IPA (or Stone Ruination if you're feeling adventurous)
DFH 90 Minute
Gordon IPA (canned!)

On the darker side of things:
Young's Double Chocolate
Old Leghumper
Anchor Porter
Stone Smoked Porter
Alaska Smoked Porter

Belgian Beers:
Hoegaarden
Rocheforte
Chimay Grande Reserve (blue)
Pick up something by Unibroue, too

German Brews:
Paulaner Oktoberfest
Paulaner Hefe
Franziskaner Hefe

Pils:
Czechvar

Popular beers that I'd skip when there's a great selection:
Heineken, Beck's, Guinness, Bitburger, most Sam Adams beers, most New Belgium beers, anything by Shiner, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada PA, along with the standard BMC offerings and anything that says, "malt liquor"

they include 750's and 22's in this "sixer" deal? I'd suspect not...and if that's the case, I don't think the local 1 comes in anything but 750s...at least, not that I've seen.

I figured the Shiner beacuse it is the only commercial Kolsh that I know of....I also rather like their bock. Also, I plan on making manny trips here since finding this place so why not try them all. lol
As far as Local 1, when I called them to see if they carry it...they had 1 left and would be getting more in on wed so I assume it can be mix and matched in the sixer.

I would suggest Rodenbach Grand Cru comma the best beer I've ever had. Check if you can get Reissdorf Kolsch. I really liked Chimay Cliq Cents (white label) I would second both the Hobgoblen and Czechvar.

I have a similar beer store with a killer selection that allows, nay recommends mixing a sixer.

My choices:
Fuller's ESB
Stone IPA
Redhook Longhammer IPA
Anchor Steam
Moncshchoff Swartzbier (comes in a nice 0,5L fliptop)
Paulaner Weiss

Why would you limit yourself to only one six-pack?

Total Wine, an East Coast chain where I buy my beer, stocks a lot of free standing bottles so you can pick and choose. The only problem is you'll pay a little more, most of your average brews cost $1.50 -$2.00.

But, I like variety so I'll pay a little more.

lpdean said:
... Shiner Kolsch...

If you can find Goose Island Summertime Kolsch, that would be a better example. You won't find too many legitimate German Kolsch beers stateside. Now, if they have any Shiner 98 Bavarian Amber, that would be a better choice!

Good question. Here goes:

1. Bell's Two Hearted
2. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
3. Two Brother's Cane & Ebel
4. Tyranena Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown
5. Goose Island Harvest Ale
6. New Glarus Uf-da Bock

Hmm, great thread by the way.

Here we go:

Ipswitch dark ale
medocino red tail ale
Stone ruination