8 year old dry yeast... Revy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
It's no name, from the "beer machine" home Kegging system that is old in it's self... But found all this old stuff from when I was 16 couldn't produce good beer and quit thr habit..

4- bags of pre-hopped malt... Lol... Oxidized for sure, 2.6 gallon batch.
20- little packs of dried no name ****

So the idea is that want to see if I could use the old bags of malt and try to wake up some yeast with a starter and a stir plate

THIS IS FOR FUN, and what do you guys think might give me a fighting chance for this fun experiment

My idea would be use the old malt to wake the yeast up and then if I decided to make a batch with yeast step it up with new malt to get it used to the style I would be brewing.

it may very well work. Yeast is pretty hardy and the drying tends to make it last longer. You may have to step it up several times, as the yeast may only be in the hundreds alive that long away. as far as the malt, I'd say it may not be worth it due to bad flavors you'll drag along with it, but its an experiment after all. I'd try a small 1000ml starter w/ new DME at a low gravity, 1.030 or so, to give hte yeast something light and easy to go crazy with... then I'd smell and even taste it just to see if it has any really harsh off flavors. Go from there.

Back