What is this yeast and will it work for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoods

Reaction score
First off, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been brewing for a few months now (just finished my second batch). In my last order from Midwest Supplies they threw in an extra packet of dry yeast with my American Ale 20 minute boil kit. The only marking on the packet is RPB. It's similar to all the other dry yeast packets I've received with kits from them, but it's now occurred to me that I have no idea what type of yeast it is. It's safe to assume it's an Ale yeast, I would imagine, but what should I expect from it?

More to the point, I ordered 5 gallons of fresh cider from my local homebrew supply store that I can pick up in a few weeks (they source it from a local college agricultural department). I wanted to mess around with some store bought, pasteurized cider before I dove in and used the good stuff. Has anybody used a yeast similar to this, or does anyone know more about it (will it cold crash easy?). Any help is greatly appreciated. And I'll be sure to post my results with both batches of cider!

Well, I just re-hydrated it and tossed it in to 2.5 gallons of Acme Cider. It's pasteurized but the only preservatives in it is Vitamin C (I read somewhere that this is OK?). I'll snap a couple pictures this afternoon, assuming there's something interesting to look at.

Not sure if this helps at all but I took a picture of the package. I'm assuming it's just a no-name dry ale yeast. Well, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out!
2akhj5e.jpg

Well, the airlock is bubbling away happily at around 62 degrees. I guess I'll check it out in a few days and see how it's doing.

Back