Equipment purchasing advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

Reaction score
Hello. It is my first post here. I have been extract brewing for a few years and am about to take the plunge into kegging. I have a full size Kenmore refrigerator (freezer on bottom) in my garage that should be perfect for a kegerator. I figure that I can fit 5 cornies and a 20# CO2 tank inside. I am planning on a 3 tap system. I think that I know what I want, but I want to make sure that I get some good advise before buying. I want to do it right the first time instead of having to replace/rebuy equipment later on. Here is my current plan:

I'm looking at the 3 tap conversion kit from kegconnection as that seems to be the board favorite to order from. I'm going to upgrade to taprite regulators and leaning towards the 3-guage version so that I can run one keg at a different pressure. I plan to always have one stout (for me), one Alt (the wife's fav), and a misc on the third tap. I like my stouts to be low carbed, and the Alt should ideally be on the high side. Wouldn't a regulator for each keg (three regulators) be best or should I just stick with the 3-guage? Is this more trouble than it is worth? Maybe just the 2-guage is fine, and run them all at a compromised pressure?

The second big decison is the faucets. As I won't be drinking every night;), I don't want to deal with sticky faucets. I will be upgrading to Perklicks. Is it worth getting one creamer version for the stout. I know that ideally I should go nitro, but I don't want to go through the trouble of another complete system. I figure that I can carbonate the stout at a low pressure and make up for it with the creamer. Is this a stupid idea?

For the tank, I called a lot of places locally and most just do an exchange. I am just going to buy a filled 20# tank from airgas instead of ordering a brand new shiney aluminum one with the system that I will just lose the first time that I go to get it filled.

One more question. I used all of the calculators and it seems like 5 feet of beer line will be balanced for my system, but it looks like most people use much longer lines. Should I order my system with longer beer lines than the 5 ft standard?

Sorry for the long first post. I just want to make sure that I order the right stuff. :mug:

Wouldn't a regulator for each keg (three regulators) be best or should I just stick with the 3-guage? Is this more trouble than it is worth? Maybe just the 2-guage is fine, and run them all at a compromised pressure? This is a personal preference really. I have two kegerators. Each runs three kegs. On both of them, I just went with a dual gauge regulator and a manifold to split the gas lines into three kegs. The differences in carbonation levels are so subtle that most people won't notice (unless you're compairing a wheat to a stout). Since I use the "set it and forget it" carbonating method, I can get away with this. Yes, all my beers are at the same carb level, but I don't mind. Since you plan to have two beers on tap at all times that are odd carbonation levels, you may want to concider at least a double regulator and split one of the lines to carb two kegs.

Is it worth getting one creamer version for the stout? No. This is my opinion of course, but I've got a creamer and I never use the cream feature. It only gives you a creamy head, not a creamy beer. If you want the "thick" creamy stout feel, you need to get a nitro setup.

For the tank, I called a lot of places locally and most just do an exchange. I am just going to buy a filled 20# tank from airgas instead of ordering a brand new shiney aluminum one with the system that I will just lose the first time that I go to get it filled. Buying a filled tank to begin with is fine, but you may want to look into other sources for filling. I've heard Airgas tends to be pretty pricey. I don't have one around my area, but I fill up at a local fire station for $5 (5lb tank). If they won't do it, ask where they have theirs filled.

Should I order my system with longer beer lines than the 5 ft standard? I would start with 8 foot lines. You can always trim them down if you need to.

Thanks. This is exactly the info that I wanted. I think that I will keep it simple and go with the dual guage set-up. I like just about all my beers lower carbed than normal, so having them all at the same pressure is probably fine. I'll skip the creamer faucet and go with all 525's. The fridge is big enough to add a full nitro system later on if I decide to go that route. I'll order my system with longer beer lines and trim back until balanced. This makes more sense than replacing the lines if they are too short. Thanks again. :mug:

Should I order my system with longer beer lines than the 5 ft standard? I would start with 8 foot lines. You can always trim them down if you need to.

Agree with everything except this, go for 10ft.

Oh and Airgas is pretty cheap. About $9 for a 5lb fill, or $19 for 20lb around here.

Back