Can I brew lager without secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboom

Reaction score
My basement is consistently around 50-55*F, good temp for lager primary. I can borrow a mini-fridge for cold lagering, but eventually I will have to give it back. I dont' want to chance breaking it by bending the freezer coils, so I can't fit a 5 gal carboy to do a secondary at low temps. So, could I do a primary fermentation with a lager strain, go straight to bottles, and cold lager in the bottles?

This would also mean I can only fit about a case at a time in the mini-fridge. Will the second case have ill effects from sitting at fermentation temp while the other case lagers?

Any suggestions on how to make this situation work? I like the clean taste of lagers and would love to try it. Maybe there is an ale yeast that could tolerate this type of treatment better, and produce something close to a lager flavor?

Kaboom said:
My basement is consistently around 50-55*F, good temp for lager primary. I can borrow a mini-fridge for cold lagering, but eventually I will have to give it back. I dont' want to chance breaking it by bending the freezer coils, so I can't fit a 5 gal carboy to do a secondary at low temps. So, could I do a primary fermentation with a lager strain, go straight to bottles, and cold lager in the bottles?

This would also mean I can only fit about a case at a time in the mini-fridge. Will the second case have ill effects from sitting at fermentation temp while the other case lagers?

Any suggestions on how to make this situation work? I like the clean taste of lagers and would love to try it. Maybe there is an ale yeast that could tolerate this type of treatment better, and produce something close to a lager flavor?

Ale yeasts can pretty much be counted on to give you a different flavor profile than lager yeasts, so bear that in mind.

Face it, if you are going to brew lagers you need a refrigeration source to lager them. I finally took the lager plunge, and bought a chest freezer and temp controller for it, along with another primary bucket and secondary carboy so I can continue to make ales while my lagers age in the new chest freezer.....

So just blow off the refrigeration for now, use a secondary (essential IMHO), and keep the secondary at 55 in your basement. If you like the results but feel a cold box would improve it, buy one then.

It's not like your temps are that far off from ideal anyway, and it's not like lager yeast makes cat pee flavored vinegar if you lager it a little warmer than "ideal".

Maybe you'll invent a style! It'll be good beer no matter what.

Cheers :D

Ideally, you need refridgeration to lager with, but you can make one using the swamp method. If you have ambient tempertures around 50°f then you can ferment at that, raise to about 60°f for your rest and rack into secondary. Then you can put your secondary into a styrofoam box big enough to hold your secondary container and place frozen bottles of water next to your fermenter to get your temps down to lagering temps. After a month of this you can bottle (and possibly before that) keep at bottling temps for a few weeks and then put into a fridge to further lager.
A lot of work to do properly without refridgeration. Not something I would be willing to do.

Back